function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Asma ErumAsma Erum 

Best practice/ tool for refreshing sandbox

I currently only have a standard developer edition for sanbox and not the developer pro. I would like to refresh the sandbox and import the data from production for testing purposes. What is the best way to do this? Should I use Talend? create the mapping and the rules. Can I potentially use the weekly scheduled and the current job I create and change the mapping to naother file later on and the file/folder with the cvs of Salesforce objects backup will be updated weekly? Or should I use Data loader ot do this? I know validations need to be turned off, is there a way this can be done without turning the validations off (perhaps through talend). 
SvenSven
Hi,

You can use talend or dataloader or jitterbit to do this, the challenge is loading the related objects in to the developer sandbox.
As the records will have a new salesforce id when you load them in the sandbox, best is to create in the sandbox on the objects an external id field where you populate the salesforce id from production. in that way you can redo the upload after a while by using the external id you created.

Jitterbit is easy to schedule and to reload data.
Asma ErumAsma Erum

Hi,

I understand creating the external id and then mapping it as production and sandbox are tehcnically two different instances. Currently, I'm using Talend to map accounts from  Salesforce Production to Salesforce sandbox. I have taken a look at this link: http://www.codeulike.com/2014/02/copying-data-to-salesforce-sandboxes.html and it seems to explain but I don't think this will work for the Accounts as it is not a custom field. Do I need to go to the sandbox and create a custom field under Accounts as "Migration_ID" and map the ID from the Accounts to this?