function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ch ranjithch ranjith 

Can I Update a Child Record when the Parent Changes with Workflows? If not please tell me the reasons why salesforce not given that functionality?

Best Answer chosen by ch ranjith
AshlekhAshlekh
Hi,

When parent got updated then you can not update child record by workflow. and when child got updated then parent can be updated.

As you know Parent record have many childs record then at the time of updation how parent record recogize which child I need to update.It is complex for automation rule. If you say all child record need to update then what if child record are more then limits. So that salesforce still not provide this functionality.

When you update child record than child record have the id of it's parent record than system know which parent record need to update.

If you want to update child recrods when parent is updated then you can write a trigger on parent and get all the child record and made modification which you want and update. If reocord are in bulk then you can use batch for this.

All Answers

AshlekhAshlekh
Hi,

When parent got updated then you can not update child record by workflow. and when child got updated then parent can be updated.

As you know Parent record have many childs record then at the time of updation how parent record recogize which child I need to update.It is complex for automation rule. If you say all child record need to update then what if child record are more then limits. So that salesforce still not provide this functionality.

When you update child record than child record have the id of it's parent record than system know which parent record need to update.

If you want to update child recrods when parent is updated then you can write a trigger on parent and get all the child record and made modification which you want and update. If reocord are in bulk then you can use batch for this.

This was selected as the best answer
Akhil AnilAkhil Anil
This can now be achieved using process builder. The detailed approach for the same has been mentioned in the below post.

https://force-base.com/2016/10/02/process-builder-update-child-records-based-on-changes-in-the-parent-record/
Carmen GrossCarmen Gross

@Ashlekh great answer!