function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Marcio FritschMarcio Fritsch 

Create a formula field to Rollup summarize from other formula?

Is there any way to create a formula field to Rollup summarize from other formula? Nowadays apparently to solve it we need to create a stored field on object, do a workflow rule and after all, create a rollup sommarize field over this field. Or simply do a trigger ( ugly option).
Best Answer chosen by Marcio Fritsch
James LoghryJames Loghry
No, you cannot create a rollup summary on a formula field.  Instead, you could write a workflow field update to update a Text or Numerical field in place of the formula, then write your rollup summary on that.

All Answers

James LoghryJames Loghry
No, you cannot create a rollup summary on a formula field.  Instead, you could write a workflow field update to update a Text or Numerical field in place of the formula, then write your rollup summary on that.
This was selected as the best answer
Marcio FritschMarcio Fritsch
Yes, that is exactly what I would not like to do and I already had tried it. Tks anyway
Matthew MorrisMatthew Morris
There may be an option which gives you the power of a trigger without the cost of having to write/deploy/maintain it.
Take a look at the details of Andy Fawcett's declaritive rollup tool

https://developer.salesforce.com/page/Declarative_Rollup_Summary_Tool_for_Force.com_Lookup_Relationships

HTH
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
Rollup summaries do work on formula fields - I'm using these in a couple of production orgs.

There are some caveats around the summarized formula fields - they can't be cross object and can't refer to values that refer to a moveable point in time, such as TODAY. The reason for the latter is that unlike a formula, the rollup summary field is calculated and stored on the parent record.  If the formula refers to a movable point in time, the value stored in the record would be incorrect by the following day.

More details are at:

https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=fields_about_roll_up_summary_fields.htm&language=en_US
Satya Ranjan MohantySatya Ranjan Mohanty
Hi bob
I am facing same problem .can you giv me a solution
I have created a another currency field instead of that formula field but it is a very lengthy process.i wan to shorten it bcoz like that i have 3 to 4 sitution.