function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Steve KucklincaSteve Kucklinca 

trigger code coverage for new record creation and naming of new record? ready to deploy

I have the following trigger working in my sandbox (much thanks to Kartik and others for your help) I am wondering how do I get code coverage as I thought I read for record creation a test class was not necessary? Also how do I change the naming convention of the newly created record as I think it pulls line 22 ChildofMA ma.Id as the name and I would prefer either using the opportunity name or Merchant_Application name. And finally, is it possible to limit the record creation based on a set value of a field from Merchant_Application__c object?

01 trigger MerchOppsRecord on Merchant_Application__c ( after insert, after update){
03     Set<Id> accountIds = new Set<Id>();
04     Map<Id,Opportunity> accountOpportunityMap = new Map<Id,Opportunity>();
05     // Get the parent Account Ids from all the Merchant Application records,
06     for(Merchant_Application__c ma : Trigger.new){
07         accountIds.add(ma.Account__c); // Assuming Account__c is the fields that maps to the Account Object
08     }
10     // Query the Opportunity using AccountId and build a map of AccountId to the Opportunity record
11     // Here the assumption is that One account is tied to only one Opportunity. But if you have multiple opportunities for a single account, the logic must identify the right opportunity
12     for(Opportunity opp : [Select Id, Name, AccountId from Opportunity where AccountId = :accountIds]){
13         accountOpportunityMap.put(opp.AccountId,opp);
14     }
16     List<MerchOpps__c> mOps = new List<MerchOpps__c>();
18     // Iterate again to build the Junction Object Records,
19     for(Merchant_Application__c ma : Trigger.new){
21         if(accountOpportunityMap.containsKey(ma.Account__c)){
22             MerchOpps__c mo = new MerchOpps__c(ChildofOpp__c = accountOpportunityMap.get(ma.Account__c), ChildofMA__c = ma.Id);
23             mOps.add(mo); // Add the records to the list
24         }
25     }
27     // Note that since this trigger is on both After Insert, After Update, and there is no validation to check if the child records already exists for that Opportunity & Merchant Application combination, it inserts child records everytime something gets changed on Merchant Application
29     insert mOps; // Insert the junction object records.
31 }
Prem_PalPrem_Pal
First of all as a best practice please move your code to separate class, which you can invoke from your trigger. This will help you in controlling order of execution.

For coverage just create a record in test method and then update that should cover both your contexts.

Could you please elaborate more on these queries:
"Also how do I change the naming convention of the newly created record as I think it pulls line 22 ChildofMA ma.Id as the name and I would prefer either using the opportunity name or Merchant_Application name. And finally, is it possible to limit the record creation based on a set value of a field from Merchant_Application__c object?"

I am not sure what you are trying to state here.
Steve KucklincaSteve Kucklinca
I do not follow. I will have to create an Apex class to do this test? I do not see where to create a test record in the sandbox. I lack experience in creating classes and test records so all instruction and assistance creating this class I would appreciate (there is no related class that would currently cover this code)

when the new record is created the name on that record is the SFDC ID string as I mentioned - this would be an example a0aK0000004iSek and I would prefer a more conventional naming structure aligned with the Account name or Opportunity name ('Opp 1' for example)

I have a field on Merchant_Application "Completed__c" and I would only want this trigger to fire if 'Completed' was the value entered in the field. Is this possible?