function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sarah KalmbachSarah Kalmbach 

Opportunity Parent/Child hierarchy?

I have just been asked by management to explore options managing one master opportunity comprised by group of individual opportunities. Today we are managing this individually and currently have no way to tie them together to represent the one opportunity.

I am looking for a way to:
Create one master opportunity
Batch create child opportunity records (designated number)
Roll-up the $ amount of child opportunity records to the $ amount of the master opportunity
Forecast/Report on the master opportunity to reflect open vs. closed as each individual opportunity is closed

Use case:

There is one big project for Acme Telecom that's worth $1M. This is captured in SF.com as 1 opportunity for $1M. This customer has asked that we break out the project in 10 phases and provide 1 quote for each phase. Since we could only have 1 primary quote per opportunity, we would have to create 10 separate opportunities worth $100K per quote.

However, our sales management would like to report/forecast the 1 opportunity. As each quote is booked, the respective opportunity would be closed in SF.com and reflected in the forecasts and reporting. Ultimately, we would end up with $1M of closed opportunities over the course of the FY.

This is scenario starting to occur more frequently and it is becoming a nightmare to manage.

Any ideas?
Jason Curtis NBSFDGJason Curtis NBSFDG
Hi, Sarah, one option would be to add a lookup field to Opportunities called Master Opportunities related to Opportunities. The challenge with this is that you can't automatically do roll up summary fields (since it is only a lookup relationship and not a master-detail relationship). I did a quick take on this, see image:
Example of Master Opp

Now what is great is there a declarative roll up summary application for lookup fields. You could implement that with this structure: https://developer.salesforce.com/page/Declarative_Rollup_Summary_Tool_for_Force.com_Lookup_Relationships

I personally haven't played around much with forecasting, so that might need some further exploration.

Hope this helps.
Jason Curtis NBSFDGJason Curtis NBSFDG
Hi, Sarah, if your questions is answered, can you mark this solved and select the best reply? Thanks!