function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sam Hummel 4Sam Hummel 4 

How to get rid of custom object name in related lists?

I've created a custom junction object (two master detail relationships) to replace the SF Contact Roles object.  For some reason, the name of the custom object "Contact Role" is being put in front of some of the field names in the Related List columns, causing them to take up a lot of space in the Related List.  Any way I can get rid of those prefixes?  Image shows related list with "Contact Role: Name" and "Contact Role: Last Modified Date" as column headings.
Best Answer chosen by Sam Hummel 4
Sam Hummel 4Sam Hummel 4
I figured it out.  The reason why SF is adding the prefix is because some fields, like "Last Modified Date", are available for inclusion in a related list from both the detail and the master objects in the master-detail relationship.  SF is helping the user distinguish whether the "Last Modified Date" field in the related list came from the detail or the master object, since it could come from one or the other.  Understanding that allowed me to solve the problem in this way:

For any field that had the prefix I wanted to get rid of, I created a custom formula field that copied the value of that field.  I then included the custom formula field in the Related List layout.  No prefix added.  

Here's an example:
1) Create a custom formula field with type Date/Time and name it "Last Modified".  The formula is simply: LastModifiedDate
2) Include the new "Last Modified" formula field in the related list.

Matthews, thank you for the replies, but I'm afraid that nothing you provided addressed my issue.  People will apprciate it if you read their question closely before copying and pasting in large amounts of text from SF's reference documents.

All Answers

Gaurav NirwalGaurav Nirwal
How do I customize the tab settings of my users?
From Setup, click Manage Users | Profiles, select a profile, then edit the tab settings.
How do I customize the tabs that appear in my apps?
At the top of any Salesforce page, click the down arrow next to your name. From the menu under your name, select Setup or My Settings—whichever one appears.
From the left pane, select one of the following:
If you clicked Setup, select My Personal Information | Change My Display, and click Customize My Tabs.
If you clicked My Settings, select Display & Layout | Customize My Tabs.
How do I make my custom related list appear on a standard tab?
From Setup, click Customize and select the appropriate tab and page layout link. Check to see that the related list has been added for the appropriate people.
How can I change the columns in my custom related list?
From Setup, click Extend | Objects and select the custom object. Click Edit in the Page Layouts related list, select a related list to edit, and then click Edit Properties.
Why can’t I create a master-detail relationship?
Determine whether the custom object already contains data. If you delete the data in your custom object, you can define the relationship. If you cannot delete the data in your custom object, create a lookup relationship first and then populate the lookup reference field in each record with a valid value. Next, click Edit by the relationship and convert it to a master-detail relationship.

This process can help you 
Gaurav NirwalGaurav Nirwal
If my answer can solves your problem please select as best answer
Sam Hummel 4Sam Hummel 4
I figured it out.  The reason why SF is adding the prefix is because some fields, like "Last Modified Date", are available for inclusion in a related list from both the detail and the master objects in the master-detail relationship.  SF is helping the user distinguish whether the "Last Modified Date" field in the related list came from the detail or the master object, since it could come from one or the other.  Understanding that allowed me to solve the problem in this way:

For any field that had the prefix I wanted to get rid of, I created a custom formula field that copied the value of that field.  I then included the custom formula field in the Related List layout.  No prefix added.  

Here's an example:
1) Create a custom formula field with type Date/Time and name it "Last Modified".  The formula is simply: LastModifiedDate
2) Include the new "Last Modified" formula field in the related list.

Matthews, thank you for the replies, but I'm afraid that nothing you provided addressed my issue.  People will apprciate it if you read their question closely before copying and pasting in large amounts of text from SF's reference documents.
This was selected as the best answer