function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SalesRedSalesRed 

How to overcome URL's being too long for URL Field?

Hi ,  I have URL's which are referencing files in Amazon S2. THe URL's are too long to store in a URL field therefore I have been storing them in Long Text Area fields.  I would like to display the URL as a clickable URL in a related list on a detail page.   Is it possible to workaround the URL size restrction without having to create a visualforce page for this?  I had thought of using a Formula field either but could not do so with a Long Text Area if requiring to store the URL detail there.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Best Answer chosen by SalesRed
SalesRedSalesRed
Hi, thanks for the suggestion.  I've got around the issue by creating 2 text fields instead of 1 Long Text Area, splitting the URL and storing in the 2 fields and then using a formula feld to create a hyperlink from these 2 fields.  The split URL values will not overrun the length of each text field.

Thanks for the suggestion on LinkFOrce also.

All Answers

RamuRamu (Salesforce Developers) 
This app might help

https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N30000003I9j1EAC
SalesRedSalesRed
Hi, thanks for the suggestion.  I've got around the issue by creating 2 text fields instead of 1 Long Text Area, splitting the URL and storing in the 2 fields and then using a formula feld to create a hyperlink from these 2 fields.  The split URL values will not overrun the length of each text field.

Thanks for the suggestion on LinkFOrce also.
This was selected as the best answer
Roberto Weinstein 15Roberto Weinstein 15
Can you share the formula to cerate a hyperlink please.
Roberto Weinstein 15Roberto Weinstein 15
Never mind... Here is the formula I used... works well  

2 field names  URL_Part_1__c and then URL_Part_2__c

Formula:

URL_Part_1__c  &  URL_Part_2__c

Thanks for the idea.