function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Abhijit Shrikhande 10Abhijit Shrikhande 10 

How can I assign a custom profile to an existing user?

I have performance edition and I have created a custom profile. Now I wish to assign this custom profile to an existing user. When I edit a user, I am not able to change the profile for that user. When I go to the newly created profile, I can create new users on it, but not select existing users.

Also, is it possible for a user to be assigned multiple profiles in salesforce?

Best Answer chosen by Abhijit Shrikhande 10
Geoffrey J FlynnGeoffrey J Flynn
On the user detail page, after clicking the Edit button, you are saying you can't change the profile of a user?
The New on a profile page is silly, becuase it does only allow you to create new users, not adjust existing ones.
You should however be able to change the profile on the user detail page as seen below

User-added image

All Answers

Geoffrey J FlynnGeoffrey J Flynn
On the user detail page, after clicking the Edit button, you are saying you can't change the profile of a user?
The New on a profile page is silly, becuase it does only allow you to create new users, not adjust existing ones.
You should however be able to change the profile on the user detail page as seen below

User-added image
This was selected as the best answer
Abhijit Shrikhande 10Abhijit Shrikhande 10
I just realized that I am able to edit the profile for other users, just not myself. 
pankaj tiwari 13pankaj tiwari 13

Hello Abhijit,

I am facing the same issue as you have faced earlier.
If, can you help me assigning a custom profile to an existing user?

GCS SalesGCS Sales
Navigate to Setup | Administration Setup | Manage Users | Users.
2. Find the User whose Profile you would like to customize.
3. Click the Edit link next to the Username.
4. In the right-hand column of User information, change the Profile to the new Profile.
5. Click Save.
GCS SalesGCS Sales
@abhijit are you able to login as another user and then change your profile accordingly?

Valerie LinzValerie Linz
Thank you so much,
I was really wondering why I could not move myself to a custom system admin profile... I needed to log in as my colleague, the other admin, and then I could. Being on a custom system admin will at last allow me to access some of the last released system permissions, such as Einstein related ones. The "standard" System Administrator profile cannot be edited at all.
Kumar Chandrashekarappa 7Kumar Chandrashekarappa 7
When I created a User, the User License was set to "Salesforce Platform", however when I created a custom profile, I had cloned a standard profile corresponding to "Salesforce" license. Hence when I was trying to assign custom  profile for a user under Salesforce Platform license, the custom profile  was not visible as the custom  profile was  created  with a different license.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Kumar

Vaishnavi TripathiVaishnavi Tripathi
Let suppose you have 3 users including your own profile. So user1 and you are in an active state ( you can see in the users section ). Let suppose you have created Custom Profile1 which you want to assign to the user2. You have to make user1  inactive first in order to free up the license and that freed license can be assigned to user2 now. Once you inactivated user1 now assign the custom profile1 you created to the user2  you will definitely be able to perform that. Thank you :)
Vaishnavi TripathiVaishnavi Tripathi
Let suppose you have 3 users including your own profile. So user1 and you are in an active state ( you can see in the users section ). Let suppose you have created Custom Profile1 which you want to assign to the user2. You have to make user1  inactive first in order to free up the license and that freed license can be assigned to user2 now. Once you inactivated user1 now assign the custom profile1 you created to the user2  you will definitely be able to perform that. Thank you :)
Radhika Krishnan 13Radhika Krishnan 13
I am supposed to assign couple of users to Custom Sales Profile. I can see in the Profiles, I can see that exists. But on the User detailed page, in the license/profile drop boxes i do not see any Custom Sales? How do I assign the users? thanks for any help.