function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Marianne KomeskiMarianne Komeski 

Aggregate Relationship is used in an unsupported complex expression

I am trying to pull attachments from a parent object onto the approval email alert (as links) when the child object is submitted for approval.  I am able to pull all the fields from the parent object onto the VF template; but for some reason attachments will not work and i receive the following error message:  Error: Aggregate Relationship is used in an unsupported complex expression containing 'OBJECTA__r.attachments'. 

Beginning of template:
<messaging:emailTemplate subject="CDR Approval Request - {!RelatedTo.PARENT__r.Account__r.Name}" recipientType="User" relatedToType="CHILD__c">
<messaging:htmlEmailBody >

Section pertaining to attachments:
<apex:repeat value="{!relatedTo.PARENT__r.Attachments}" var="a"> 
 <p><a href="https://CS15.salesforce.com/{!URLFOR($Action.Attachment.Download, a.name)}">{!a.Name}</a> ({!a.BodyLength} B)</p>
</apex:repeat>

I believe referencing 'PARENT__r' is the problem, but I do not know how else to reference that the attachments need to pull from the parent object (not child as it will have none)?

Do I need to create a controller to pull the parent object attachments and then reference that controller in the email template??

Please help!

mjohnson-TICmjohnson-TIC
Yes, you should probably create an apex class and component to query and display what you need. Then include the component in the template.

<c:ComponentName relatedToId="{!relatedTo.Id}"/>