function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SFTerrSFTerr 

Building our own customer portal

We are looking into building our own customer portal, where our top customers (already provided with login details) will be able to select one of the 2 following options:
- One, where they will update their own details and also see the number of their free passes available to them for the specific Campaign
- Second one, where they will be able to add their colleagues (as many as the have free passes available) and those records would match to our existing Contacts/Accounts + new Opportunity (or completely new records will get created if they won’t exist in SFDC already). They should also be able to modify those records if something changes (attending people, or their details).

I’m new to development, so not sure where will be best to start. Shall I be looking into Sites/Flows or Sites/VF/APEX?

Thank you in advance

PratikPratik (Salesforce Developers) 

Hi,

To buils your own customer portal, you will need to create a Customes community. 
Customer community has all the options available that you described in your post. 
Here you will need to use some custom objects, validation rules etc.

But to get started, I will suggest you to go through the implementation guide of Community also check for licenses.

http://help.salesforce.com/help/pdfs/en/salesforce_communities_implementation.pdf

Post here if you need any help!

Thanks,
Pratik

SFTerrSFTerr
Hi Pratik, thank you for your reply. SF customer community was the first option we explored, but unfortunately it's too costly for us at that stage (we only need it for few top clients), that's whay we are looking into custom options, but I'm not sure where it will be best to start.