function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
aileen yuanaileen yuan 

User Case to design

I need to settle below User Case, can help kindly? Thanks!

"Once you are familiar with the basic salesforce.com concepts, please tackle the following project. These are only high level details, so feel free to make assumptions or ask questions. Don’t invest too much time into building it, for example don’t write any code. Utilize the native salesforce.com tools to create custom configurations and reports.

! Restriction !
Do not use the standard salesforce.com Opportunity object.

Business Case
I run an organization that sells 3 products, blue, red, and green gift boxes.  We are targeting stores in shopping malls to use our gift boxes for gift wrapping their merchandise.  Our sales people call and visit stores at the malls talking to store owners about our boxes.  To help the sales efforts, our sales people carry sample boxes that they distribute to store owners that show some interest. 

Problem
I need to be able to track my sales team’s efforts and determine which boxes are selling. In addition, samples are at a cost to my company so I need to track how many samples each sales person is giving out. 

Ultimately, I need to know what my sales folks are doing, which sample boxes they are giving out, and how they are building our customer base.  Can you help?
"
Best Answer chosen by aileen yuan
PratikPratik (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Aileen,

Account, contact are standard objects and they have relationship already.
You don't need to create any custom relationship between the above mentioned objects.
If you don;t want to use the Opportunity standard object, in that case you can creat a custom object and then you can have this custom object related with Account by master details relationship & with product by lookup relationship.

Thanks,
Pratik

P.S. If this answers you question, please mark it as "Best Answer" so it will help other community members too.

All Answers

Hi Aileen,

Nice business case. I didn't understand the logic to not to use Opportunity object.
But, yes you can mange it through help of custom object.

Here your 3 gift boxex blue,red,green will become products to sell.
The shops to whom your sales rep will meet & contact will become your lead.
Those who will show interest and would like to have these gift bpoxex will become your (convert lead) contacts, account. (while converting lead you have option to not to create opportunity.)

Reporting:
1. Leads generated by sales rep (Lead owner= sales rep)
2.Lead converted by sales rep
3. Product sold by sales rep.
4. Create a picklist or checkbox to track wheather the product is for sample purpose of sold to track the free sample.
4. Account & cpontacts generated by sales rep.
5. You can claculate ROI if any campaigns they are conductiong.

Hope this will help. Feel free to add.

Thanks,
Pratik
aileen yuanaileen yuan
Thanks, Patik, will try out :)
aileen yuanaileen yuan
Hello Pratik, Thanks for your kind instructions! And during Object customization - do I need to create addiontal relationship between Product/Lead/Account/Contact? Or I just add records thru those 4 existing Objects should be OK And overall for the User Case - besides simply object and report creation, any other thing I can create from Salesforce to benefit more from the case, to perfectize the Case? Please guide from your expertise... Cheers, Ailen
Hi Aileen,

Account, contact are standard objects and they have relationship already.
You don't need to create any custom relationship between the above mentioned objects.
If you don;t want to use the Opportunity standard object, in that case you can creat a custom object and then you can have this custom object related with Account by master details relationship & with product by lookup relationship.

Thanks,
Pratik

P.S. If this answers you question, please mark it as "Best Answer" so it will help other community members too.
This was selected as the best answer