function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Narongrit InwangNarongrit Inwang 

Can we reference field from External Object in Formula?

I made an external relationship from standard Account object to External object, then I try to write a custom formula field to disply some field in external object on account layout page. But it return formula validation error that "Object__x is an invalid object type for the Account__r field."
Phil WeinmeisterPhil Weinmeister
Hi Narongrit,

Not 100% sure what you mean by "external" relationship, but to reference a difference object in a validation rule, you will have to have a Lookup or Master-Detail relationship with that object (with the second object being the parent or master). If you use the declarative interface to build your formula, you will be good to go. It will only show you what is allowed.

Thanks,
Phil
Markus Paus 8Markus Paus 8
I've the same issue:
I created a lookup to an external object on my product and I can click on it to get all the data from the external object. But when I try to add the UnitsInStock Field from the external Object, I get the same error from the formula validation.
Does anybody knows anything about this?

By the way we're talking about lightning connect.

lek33241.392798443499648E12lek33241.392798443499648E12
Got some answer from Support. He said, currently, Formula field doesn't support external object