function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Lara MarshLara Marsh 

Can Campaign Member object be the Master to a custom child object?

We are a non-profit who has multiple trips each year to developing countries to do medical and construction work (Rotary). Our volunteers pay to go on these trips. I set up each trip as a Campaign, each person on the trip is a Campaign Member (who is also a Contact record). I want to track payments made by each Campaign Member (there are installments of 3 to 4 payments).

I think I want to set up a master-child relationship between a custom object (e.g. Payments) and the Campaign Member. That way, I could roll-up the total payments to each member. Addtionally, since people (e.g. Contacts) travel on multiple trips, I could see the payment information at the Campaign Member level so each Contact would have multiple Campaigns and multiple Payments.

However, when I try to create a master-detail relationship between Payments and Campaign Member, the option to select Campaign Member as the master is not shown in the list of available objects. I could do Contact or Campaign, but I think I want the Campaign Member. Eventually I will have automated code that will create the Payments records and associate them with each Campaign Member when each Campaign Member pays on PayPal.

Ideas? Thanks so much!
Best Answer chosen by Lara Marsh
Evan KennedyEvan Kennedy
I don't think it can.

I'm not even sure if you can do a regular lookup to the campaign member. But if you were able to do that, you could write a trigger ot rollup any values you wanted.