function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tom WilsonTom Wilson 

Related List information

I've created 2 custom objects. 1) "Bid Assets", and 2) "Assets". Assets is meant to be a repository for 200+ products we carry and are leased out to our customers. Bid Assets is the object that allows a user to create entries if one of the products is bid for an Opportunity. The Bid Assets object is displayed in the Opportunities page as a Related List, and a user is allowed to enter 1 or more Bid Assets, with their prices along with other custom information.

My question is, I am trying to create a new field on the Opportunity page that accesses the pricing from any Bid Assets that have been attached to the Opportunity, and calculate an amount. However, I don't see a way to access the information within this object from the Opportunity object.

Is there a way to draw the connection between Opportunity & Bid Asset objects so that they can access each other?
Evan KennedyEvan Kennedy
If the "Bid Asset" is a master-detail relationship to the Opportunity, then you can create rollup summary fields on the Opportunity to get data.

If you're looking for something outside the confines of the rollup summaries, you'd likely have to get a trigger to be written. What information are you looking to have on the Opportunity?
Tom WilsonTom Wilson
The Bid Asset object is currently connected to the Opportunity via a Lookup, not a Master-Detail relationship. Is it possible to change the relationship type to Master-Detail after the fact? If so, are there any implications to existing data, etc? Thanks for your help. Tom
Evan KennedyEvan Kennedy
In general it is possible to change from a lookup to a master-detail. The data is the same.

The consideration is that if something is a master-detail relationship then you *cannot* have a detail record that isn't related to a master record.

So, if you have Bid Assets that aren't related to opportunities, then you aren't going to want a master-detail.
Tom WilsonTom Wilson
Each Bid Asset record is unique and is connected to an individual Opportunity, so I believe we should be fine with a Master-Detail relationship. Is it possible to change a Master-Detail back to a lookup, worst case? Tom
Evan KennedyEvan Kennedy
Yes, it should be. There may be some restrictions on performing these functions if there is pre-existing data, but I don't remember what they are off the top of my head. I would definitely try to do this in a sandbox environment to make sure it's working.
Tom WilsonTom Wilson
Thank you Evan, I'll give it a shot in the sandbox. TW