function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ashwan Thota 15Ashwan Thota 15 

What is the difference between workflow and flow?

What is the difference between workflow and flow? I understood that both does the same job and I felt flow looks bit confusing compared to workflow.
Can any one please suggest me if we really use flows in real time scenario. I am a Salesforce learner.

Thanks,

Best Answer chosen by Ashwan Thota 15
Phil WeinmeisterPhil Weinmeister
Hi Ashwan,

That's a great question. I addressed the question of Workflow vs Visual Workflow (Flows) in my recently published book, "Practical Salesforce.com Development Without Code (http://amzn.com/1484200985" target="_blank).". Here's an excerpt that addresses your inquiry:

Why Visual Workflow?

While Visual Workflow clearly offers more functionality than workflow rules, it would be shortsighted to always use it in place of workflow rules. Workflow rules allow you to create event-triggered actions that occur immediately or at some specified point in the future. While they may possess some level of complexity, managing and/or enhancing them is often a relatively straightforward task. Although possible, using Visual Workflow instead of workflow rules to update Field B when Field A changes would be overkill. While I feel obliged to provide this warning to not exclude workflow rules, it is true that Visual Workflow does cover a number of scenarios that cannot be satisfied by workflow rules alone. We will look at some of these scenarios in the following sections.

Event-Triggered and User-Triggered Flows

Until recently, a primary factor in the decision between using workflow rules and using Visual Workflow in order to employ an automated solution was whether you wanted an action to be driven by an event (as it would be with workflow rules) or by a user (as happens with flows). In the absence of writing custom code to supplement a configuration-based solution, actions resulting from workflow rules continue to be limited to event-triggered activity. A user doesn’t manually make the decision to “activate” a workflow rule; rather the user’s behavior is subject to the configured business rules and his system actions determine whether or not automation occurs.

Visual workflows can be triggered by either a system event or a user action. Previously, visual workflows sat opposite from workflow rules, requiring the user to initiate the process. However, Salesforce.com has delivered the “trigger-ready flow,” changing the game quite drastically. Along with the traditional types of actions that can be driven by a workflow rule (e.g., Email Alerts, Field Updates, Tasks, and Outbound Messages), the trigger-ready flow provides a configuration-based means to kick off a visual workflow with no human intervention. The main example I’ll use in this chapter is a user-triggered flow, but I would definitely recommend researching flow triggers for workflow if you have the opportunity.

User Input and Decision Points

With workflow rules, once the initial user input kicks off a rule, all remaining actions are automated; no additional user input will be elicited. One powerful feature of Visual Workflow is the ability to capture user input during the workflow process. The input can be tied to a particular field or not. For example, you could use a flow to “fill out” a customer’s Contact record in a logical or strategic sequence that differs from the standard Contact detail page. Alternatively, you could ask questions that would help determine how to handle a particular customer situation. Specifically, these questions could be associated with one or more decision points, another standout feature of Visual Workflow. Using either existing data or data captured during an executed workflow, you can configure different outcomes to occur.

Screen Output and User Interface Impact

With workflow rules, the only notable impact on the user interface has been the automated changes made to the modified record. However, with Visual Workflow, new custom pages showing customized combinations of text and existing data can be displayed to the user through the Salesforce.com user interface. These pages could be used capture user input, as I previously mentioned, or depending on your organization’s needs, they could instead be used to display useful information to the user. For example, a customized set of fields showing key contact, account, and subscription information could be displayed to aid the user in confirming a customer’s identity.

Multiple Steps / Cohesive View of Process

Although it is possible to “chain” more than one rule to trigger an action when using workflow rules, doing so adds significant risk and complexity to your system’s behavior. While some use cases may exist that could benefit from chaining workflow rules, the sensitivity of this approach prevents me from recommending it as a broad approach for a solution. The fact alone that your chained rules have no direct association that is visible within the Setup menu is a potential challenge that warrants thinking twice before utilizing that approach.

Visual Workflow, on the other hand, is ripe for multiple updates or steps within an automated process. The “Visual” aspect of this tool provides a major boost. If you create a sequence of updates within a flow, you can get a visual representation of the process and see what happens along the way. Additionally, the flow is designed for these sequential updates. Workflow rules are very limited in this regard, in that a workflow rule-driven action that modifies the originally updated record can’t trigger a second update to that same record. With Visual Workflow, you can update the same record multiple times without an issue.

Everything indented above -- Copyright © 2015 by Philip Weinmeister

I hope that helps!

Thanks,
Phil

All Answers

Sai Ram ASai Ram A
Hello Ashwan

I would  recommend take a look at Salesforce Trailhead,  
https://developer.salesforce.com/trailhead/force_com_declarative_beginner/business_process_automation/flow

Workflow enables you to set up workflow rules that identify what kinds of record changes or additions trigger specified workflow actions, such as sending email alerts and updating record fields. Workflow always executes rules and actions behind the scene that are associated with a specific object. For example, if an action such as an account update takes place on a record, a workflow action can be triggered to email a sales manager.

Visual Workflow enables you to create flows, which are applications that are user-triggered instead of event-triggered. Visual Workflow offers screens for displaying and collecting information from the user running the flow. Flows can look up, create, update, and delete records for multiple objects. For example, you can create a flow that includes a screen to collect data from donors. The data can then populate a donor record, a tax receipt record, and create a confirmation message that displays when the user finishes inputing data.

Please mark it as a best answer if this resolve your issue

Thank you
BLearn
Hi Ashwan,

That's a great question. I addressed the question of Workflow vs Visual Workflow (Flows) in my recently published book, "Practical Salesforce.com Development Without Code (http://amzn.com/1484200985" target="_blank).". Here's an excerpt that addresses your inquiry:

Why Visual Workflow?

While Visual Workflow clearly offers more functionality than workflow rules, it would be shortsighted to always use it in place of workflow rules. Workflow rules allow you to create event-triggered actions that occur immediately or at some specified point in the future. While they may possess some level of complexity, managing and/or enhancing them is often a relatively straightforward task. Although possible, using Visual Workflow instead of workflow rules to update Field B when Field A changes would be overkill. While I feel obliged to provide this warning to not exclude workflow rules, it is true that Visual Workflow does cover a number of scenarios that cannot be satisfied by workflow rules alone. We will look at some of these scenarios in the following sections.

Event-Triggered and User-Triggered Flows

Until recently, a primary factor in the decision between using workflow rules and using Visual Workflow in order to employ an automated solution was whether you wanted an action to be driven by an event (as it would be with workflow rules) or by a user (as happens with flows). In the absence of writing custom code to supplement a configuration-based solution, actions resulting from workflow rules continue to be limited to event-triggered activity. A user doesn’t manually make the decision to “activate” a workflow rule; rather the user’s behavior is subject to the configured business rules and his system actions determine whether or not automation occurs.

Visual workflows can be triggered by either a system event or a user action. Previously, visual workflows sat opposite from workflow rules, requiring the user to initiate the process. However, Salesforce.com has delivered the “trigger-ready flow,” changing the game quite drastically. Along with the traditional types of actions that can be driven by a workflow rule (e.g., Email Alerts, Field Updates, Tasks, and Outbound Messages), the trigger-ready flow provides a configuration-based means to kick off a visual workflow with no human intervention. The main example I’ll use in this chapter is a user-triggered flow, but I would definitely recommend researching flow triggers for workflow if you have the opportunity.

User Input and Decision Points

With workflow rules, once the initial user input kicks off a rule, all remaining actions are automated; no additional user input will be elicited. One powerful feature of Visual Workflow is the ability to capture user input during the workflow process. The input can be tied to a particular field or not. For example, you could use a flow to “fill out” a customer’s Contact record in a logical or strategic sequence that differs from the standard Contact detail page. Alternatively, you could ask questions that would help determine how to handle a particular customer situation. Specifically, these questions could be associated with one or more decision points, another standout feature of Visual Workflow. Using either existing data or data captured during an executed workflow, you can configure different outcomes to occur.

Screen Output and User Interface Impact

With workflow rules, the only notable impact on the user interface has been the automated changes made to the modified record. However, with Visual Workflow, new custom pages showing customized combinations of text and existing data can be displayed to the user through the Salesforce.com user interface. These pages could be used capture user input, as I previously mentioned, or depending on your organization’s needs, they could instead be used to display useful information to the user. For example, a customized set of fields showing key contact, account, and subscription information could be displayed to aid the user in confirming a customer’s identity.

Multiple Steps / Cohesive View of Process

Although it is possible to “chain” more than one rule to trigger an action when using workflow rules, doing so adds significant risk and complexity to your system’s behavior. While some use cases may exist that could benefit from chaining workflow rules, the sensitivity of this approach prevents me from recommending it as a broad approach for a solution. The fact alone that your chained rules have no direct association that is visible within the Setup menu is a potential challenge that warrants thinking twice before utilizing that approach.

Visual Workflow, on the other hand, is ripe for multiple updates or steps within an automated process. The “Visual” aspect of this tool provides a major boost. If you create a sequence of updates within a flow, you can get a visual representation of the process and see what happens along the way. Additionally, the flow is designed for these sequential updates. Workflow rules are very limited in this regard, in that a workflow rule-driven action that modifies the originally updated record can’t trigger a second update to that same record. With Visual Workflow, you can update the same record multiple times without an issue.

Everything indented above -- Copyright © 2015 by Philip Weinmeister

I hope that helps!

Thanks,
Phil
This was selected as the best answer
Ashwan Thota 15Ashwan Thota 15
Hi Phil, Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I am very much pleased with your answer and hats off to you for your patience in answering this question in detail. Thanks a lot once again. Regards, Ashman Thota
Great to hear! Please mark my response as “Best Answer”, if you feel so inclined. Thanks, Phil
Karen PolzinKaren Polzin
Hi Phil - I found this thread extremely helpful and was looking into getting your book on Development without Code. I noticed that it was written in 2014 and was wondering how relevant the information would be now, since I assume a lot has changed. I am working on my admin certification and wouldn't want to be learning outdated information. Do you think the information is still relevant or would you be coming out with an updated version?
Hi Karen, it is still relevant for the most part, but process builder has come into the picture and Flow has seeen a major update with the introduction of Flow Builder. I am actually releasing the 2nd edition of my book this year, so look for that! Thanks.
Gary RalstonGary Ralston
Hey Ashwan,

In Salesforce, both "Flow" and "Workflow" refer to automation tools that can be used to automate certain processes within the platform. However, they are used for different purposes and have some key differences.
Workflow is best suited for simple automation tasks like updating fields, sending emails, and creating tasks, while Flow is better suited for more complex automation tasks such as lead qualification, case escalation, and approval processes that involve multiple steps and decision points.. Also, flows can be invoked by a user, a process builder or a scheduled Apex.

To learn more about Flow builder, visit the article at https://arrify.com/ultimate-guide-on-salesforce-flow/. This guide will provide a comprehensive overview of Flow and its features, including a complete understanding of its capabilities.