function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jenny FisherJenny Fisher 

Multi Pick list Validation Rule

I have a multi pick list field called, Plays_c.  When the option "Retained Customer's Business" is chosen from this field the
single Pick list Type of Business_C field is required.   None of the other multi pick list values are required to pick type of business but the rule I created below is making it so.  How do I correct this.  I just want "Retained Customer's Business" to drive the type of business pick list.  Here is my current validation rule I have.
And(
INCLUDES(Plays__c, "Retained Customer's Business"),
ISBLANK(text(Type_of_Business__c)))

Any help would be awesome.

YuchenYuchen
I did the same test using the above Validation Rule in my org it works fine. So only when the multi pick list value contains "Retained Customer's Business", the Type_of_Business__c will be mandatory. If you select other values for Plays__c, the validation error won't throw. Please note that when you select both  "Retained Customer's Business" and other value, the Business field will be mandatory.
MithunPMithunP
Hi Jenny,

I tried your validation rule in my org, its working perfect.

Make sure your validation rule is "ACTIVE". 

Best Regards,
Mithun.
Jenny FisherJenny Fisher
  Thank you both for your help.  The problem is that when I choose something other than "Retained Customer's Business" it's giving me the error and I don't want that.  It there something else I can do that will keep it from doin it.

Example

YuchenYuchen
That is really weird. Do you have any other active Validation Rule that is throwing this error? Also, could you show us the screenshot of your Validation Rule details? 
Jenny FisherJenny Fisher
Hi Yuchen,

Yes was another validation rule that was throwing it off.  I go that corrected.  Now when I choose pick list value Retained Customer's Business the Type of Bussiness field is not required.

Here is the validation rule.  Can you help me?

And(
INCLUDES(Plays__c, "Retained Customer's Business"),
ISBLANK(text(Type_of_Business__c)),
$RecordType.Name = "Complex Event",
$Profile.Name <> "OCM System Administrator",
$Profile.Name <> "System Administrator")
YuchenYuchen
So please make sure the following:
1) The above Validation Rule is active.
2) The Plays__c field does have the "Retained Customer's Business" value(spelling is also correct)
3) RecordType is "Complex Event" (spelling is also correct)
4) The current User is not "OCM System Administrator" or "System Administrator"

If all the above criteria is met, then the error should throw.