function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Lake Ontario DylanLake Ontario Dylan 

"Consumer facing" on Force.com

Hi All,

Looking for some opinions of the community here.

At DF14 there was a pretty common statement  being made on the developer floor: Force.com for employee apps, Heroku for consumer facing apps. I'm pretty comfortable with VisualForce, Apex, and Force.com sites on top of Salesforce and I can basically build whatever I want using these technologies and HTML5. This includes "consumer facing" style sites that are completely unique in skinning and function, as well as login, etc.

While I'm a long time Java and PHP developer and more than comfortable with Git and the command line (and thus deploying to Heroku is pretty great), I'm wondering how the "Consumer facing on Heroku" mantra squares with the absurd cost of Heroku Connect? I can build fairly large scale Force.com sites that are consumer facing and access my Org data directly without incurrening any extra costs above and beyond our Enterprise subscription.

Thoughts?

-d
KevinPKevinP
Couple of notes:

You don't actually have to use heroku connect. You can use any of the great API integration tools for java/that three letter language of doom/Ruby/.net etc. 

The beauty of heroku, however, is it's ability to scale from 10 users to 10,000 users in the span of 60 seconds. If your app doesn't need that kind of dynamic scaling and you don't need ot provide an API or HTML interface etc. Go for force.com
Lake Ontario DylanLake Ontario Dylan
I know I can use SOAP or REST to access my Org but the latency of these API's is kind of a show stopper for high scalability, at least on the surface. If I hit my org with SOAP requests from 10,000 users it's probably going to be pretty unpleasent, no? 

On the other hand, if I'm using Heroku Connect I'm simply optimizing for scalibility against my Heroku Postgres database (which is receiving the sync'd data). That's an easily solvable problem from a scalability perspective as it's really a Postgres tuning issue and not a Salesforce issue. On the other hand, SOAP/REST calls are totally blackbox into the Org from a performance perspective.