function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Bill WoodsonBill Woodson 

Custom Notes

Hello,

Being that I needed custom fields added to our notes I created a new custom Note object which works pretty well.  However I need to have notes associated to many other custom objects in the organization.  

Is this something I can achieve using the RecordType mechanism in Salesforce or do I need to create a custom Note object for each custom object that needs to support the notes functionality?

Basically all the fields will be the same for the various note needs, but I need to filter the notes to only show for the given custom object for which the note applies.

Thanks.
Best Answer chosen by Bill Woodson
Jason Reiber [ACS]Jason Reiber [ACS]
Bill,

You could potentially use Lookup relationship fields from the Note custom object to each of the other custom objects it needs to be linked to.  It might get a little cluttered depending on how many other objects need the Note functionality, but at least you'd have a solid relationship built so when you create new notes from the related list of whatever custom object it will automatically be tied to that object.  Since these values should be auto populated anyhow then you could probably just remove them from the layout so they don't clutter up your Notes interface.

I'm not sure how you could use Record Types if you need to tie a note to a specific record of a custom object.  At best you could create a Record Type called "Opportunity" or something so that you can indicate that the Note record is for an Opportunity, but not which specific Opportunity.

All Answers

PratikPratik (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Bill,

You can create a new Custom object for Notes and add the fields to it as per your requirements.
You can have Recordtypes to custom objects so you can add the recordtypes to your custom Notes objects.
To attach the Notes withcustom object, you can creat the Lookup relationship between them so a related list for Notes will appear.

Thanks,
Pratik
Bill WoodsonBill Woodson
Sorry Pratik,

I don't think your answer is clear to me, perhaps I was not clear enough in my question.

I have already created a custom note object.  It is currently in a master/detail relationship with Contact.  I also want it to be in a master/detail relationship with other objects in the application.  I would not to reference each of those objects in every note.  Some notes only belong to Contact other notes only belong to other specific objects.  I want to control the fields in the note based on which object that particular note is related to.

Can I do this with a single custom note object and record types or do I have to create a custom note object for each relationship I want to have with notes?

Thanks.
Jason Reiber [ACS]Jason Reiber [ACS]
Bill,

You could potentially use Lookup relationship fields from the Note custom object to each of the other custom objects it needs to be linked to.  It might get a little cluttered depending on how many other objects need the Note functionality, but at least you'd have a solid relationship built so when you create new notes from the related list of whatever custom object it will automatically be tied to that object.  Since these values should be auto populated anyhow then you could probably just remove them from the layout so they don't clutter up your Notes interface.

I'm not sure how you could use Record Types if you need to tie a note to a specific record of a custom object.  At best you could create a Record Type called "Opportunity" or something so that you can indicate that the Note record is for an Opportunity, but not which specific Opportunity.
This was selected as the best answer
Bill WoodsonBill Woodson
Thanks Jason, that helps!
Antoine PierreAntoine Pierre
Dear All,

I'm quite new in the implementation of new "object, etc"

Could you please reconfirm, that we can modify the page layout of notes under the contact's profile??

indeed for the moment in my org we have just a description field (you can write whatever you want in this field)

I would like to
- add some other description boxes in this note page layout
- or create a new note page layout like below
User-added image
... is it possible?

Thank you in advance,
 BR
Antoine