function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Upwards TechnologiesUpwards Technologies 

API Usage Notification not working

I submitted this ticket as a case and was directed by Salesforce to use this forum to post it instead.

I set up way back in November a usage notification alert to be sent to me at 85%. Well, yesterday we tapped out our API usage and never got a notification. It brought our entire client facing website down for about an hour until I could frantically get Salesforce support to raise our limit.

This is a crucial feature, as we often have spikes that might affect this. Can you please look into this?
SonamSonam (Salesforce Developers) 
Could you please share the case number, I understand you must have provided the information on the case to further look into this issue.
Drop a mail at sraju @ salesforce dot com
I sent it a little bit ago. Please let me know if you didn't receive it.
Hi, Went through your case. Do you have any sample notification which you  might have recieved when the threshold was crossed? Please check that and save the sender of that email.

Now, setup your Email Log on the ORG(Steps here: https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=email_logs.htm&language=en_US) for date when the threshold was crossed:  1/5 around 2:30PM PST

ONce you get the logs, please check if any email was sent on the 5th to the reciepeient you have set for the notification by the same sender as the sample email.

If you face any difficulty, please provide Salesforce Support login access on the ORG for 7 days together with the sample email and I will have a look.

Ok, I downloaded the email logs for 1/12 throught 1/14, because we were using very close to 100% on 1/13. My API usage notification alert is set to go off at 60% and at 85%. I didn't receive anything.

What's next? How do I give Salesforce Support login access for 7 days?
http://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?id=000003910&language=en_US

Pls follow the steps to provide login access and forward me any alert notification you might have recieved earlier so I know what recipients I should be looking for in the logs.

Ok, I've granted Salesforce support login access to my login for a month. I haven't received ANY alert notifications earlier, so I can't forward those along.

In the logs, there are no API notification alerts, even though we passed our limit one and came very, very close to it a number of other times. 

Please let me know what else you need from me to figure this out.
Thanks, I will check internally to see if I can get an sample email to check for the sender details to search for in the logs - will update you once I go through the logs.
Any update on this?! This has dragged on and on and on and I would love some kind of resolution. Am I going to start receiving API notifications or not?
Hi, I've had a look into your account and the file you downloaded didn't have any emails so I checked a couple of more days/dates to confirm what emails were being sent from your setup - I was not able to find any emails sent out.

Checked a sample email, if at all you got the notification - it will be look like the one below:

Subject:Salesforce.com API usage exceeded threshold of 4% 2 messages From:
Salesforce.com API Admin <noreply@salesforce.com>
Thu, XX XX, XXXX at XXX PM To: "XXXX"  

Body:This is an automated notification sent to you at your request by salesforce.com. Your organization has made 225 API calls within the last 24 hours. This is 5% of your organization's 24-hour API call limit of 5000 calls. You will receive this notice once every 1 hours until your organization's API usage drops below 4% of your 24-hour call limit (200 calls). For more detail on your organization's API usage, please review the API Usage Report under the Reports tab.

Could you please confirm if you have made any changes in the email deleiverability section of your setup? I am just wondering if in case the email functionality was turned OFF?
I haven't made any changes to the email deliverability. All I did was set up an alert, a while back, and it failed to send me an email. From the logs, it looks like it didn't even attempt to send an email.

I have to say that I'm a little exhaused with this exchange. It's obvious that something is wrong with the API usage notifications not triggering.  Just to prove that something is really wrong, I just set up a new alert that triggers at 5% of API usage, to send every hour. We are already at more than 5% of our usage, so I should be getting an email every hour, but am not.

Please either figure this out, or escalate to someone who can. 
I have raised this issue as a case#11615579 for the internal team to look into  and have put my investigation on the case..will followup with the team to investigate it further.
I don't think I understand how this developer support works. I had a call with a support rep yesterday who confirmed (which I already knew) that the API usage notifications is not working. It is case 11615579 (https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewCase?id=5003000000Y2YMpAAN&filterid=2). Then he promptly closed my ticket, sending me BACK to the developer forums.

My question is this: everybody acknowledges that there is a piece of our Salesforce that is not working properly, so will you fix it? If not, can you just tell me that so I can stop this insanely long and frustrating dialogue I'm having with Salesforce support? If you will fix it, when can I expect to hear back from you?
IKZIKZ
I know it's been a few years since you posted your question, but we've been affected by the same issue in june. I had a sf support case open for more than a month and today i got an email saying they are unable to answer my question. we were over api limit and we only realised when all hell broke loose and users were unable to work, and none of us got any notifications. 

I suspect there is a bug, as some time in spring 2019 all our notifications have dissapeared and we had to add them again. 

so maybe it doesn't happen very often, but it deffinetely happened more than once. very worrying, as this is a crucial feature for us.