function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Praveen JhaPraveen Jha 

​Updating the Portal UI

We want the users to be able to manage the subscriptions to the alerts themselves. I think the best option is to have a couple of checkboxes in the Portal UI which map to the corresponding checkboxes in the User record.

There are a couple of ways we could do this:

1)      Add the checkboxes to the Email Settings page (which has “Choose to receive  Community emails so user don’t miss important updates”.

2)      Add a new “Notifications” table to the portal (e.g. Home, Cases, Subscriptions,Notifications, Contacts, Accounts, Reports.
Please assist by pointing me in the right direction, I’d appreciate it.
PratikPratik (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Praveen,

Thanks for the information. Will you please share what all subscriptions you are taking into considerations?

You can probably think of alerts through Chatter Post so users on their end can set the chatter email settings.

Aslo Subscriptions to different alerts will be defined by system admin as per business requirement so if you can optimize that it would be helpful to avoid unnecessary alerts.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks,
Pratik
Praveen JhaPraveen Jha

Ah, thanks for the info on that pratik.
I have queries related to the User Interface:
1.       Allowing the user to set the notification checkboxes (the “Notify me of alerts” and “notify me of releases”). So, there are a couple of other options:
a.       Adding a new tab to the side bar (I’ve succeeded in creating a new Visualforce page that appears in the side bar, The downside is that the sidebar is usually hidden in the portal.
b.       I created one called “Notification Settings”. It appears in Salesforce, but not the Community Portal.
2.       Is it possible to customise the Knowledge Articles page? I found the reason the Workflow wasn’t being fired was due to the Publication Status. It’s still set to draft when you Publish. Apparently, this is a known issue in Salesforce. So, as a test, I changed the Workflow to look for “PublishNow” in the Summary box. This caused the Workflow to run and generate an email when the article was saved. What I’d really like is either a checkbox, or a button “Send Alert Now”, but I don’t know if it’s possible to customise the Knowledge User Interface in Salesforce. Hope this make some sense