function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Chy WelsaChy Welsa 

Cannot access community adiministration settings as administrator

Hi,

I am an administrator in a sandbox, and i have created a community without adding myself as a member. Since the release of Spring 2015:
Release notes:
"salesforce_spring15_release_notes" says "Updating Community Administration Settings Requires Community Membership" on page 13.

Hence, though i created the community and am administrator on the sandbox, i cannot access the community administration settings.

Best Answer chosen by Chy Welsa
PratikPratik (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Welsa,

Hre is the article, If you are Admin and not a member of community, how you can add yourself on community as member through API:

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?urlname=How-do-I-add-myself-as-a-member-of-a-Community-if-the-Manage-Link-is-missing&language=en_US

Thanks,
Pratik

All Answers

Hi Chy,

Updating Community Administration Settings Requires Community Membership:
If you want to update a community’s administration settings in Community Management, you must have “Create and Set Up Communities”
permission and you must also be a member of that community.
Because the administration settings that were previously in Setup have now moved to Community Management, this requires that you
must be a member of the community whose Community Management page you are trying to access. This move means you can now
administer and manage your community in one place.

As per these changes in Spring'15, you will need to be a member of community to change settings.

The other point mentioned:

Users with “Create and Set Up Communities” permission who are not members of a community can still modify that community’s
administration settings through the API.

These details you will find on page no. 91 (last paragraph).

Thanks,
Pratik
Chy WelsaChy Welsa
Thanks Pratik for your prompt reply, 

No did not put myself as a member of the community, while i was able to modify it with winter 2015 , i am not able anymore with spring2015. When going in : Setup>Communities>Community Setup and Administration, i can see the community is there, but there are no link, no edit just a plain list of communities.

Could you please indicate me how to modify that community’s administration settings through the API?

Also the “Create and Set Up Communities” permission, how can i know i have it set on my user?

Hi Chy,

This change happened in the Spring'15 release.

The permission "Create and Set Up Communities" is available on you user Profile.

Community API:
Please refer to:
https://www.salesforce.com/developer/docs/api/Content/sforce_api_objects_network.htm

Thanks,
Pratik

Chy WelsaChy Welsa
Since i am not a member of the community, how can i, as an administrator, put myself as a member of the community?
Hi Chy,

Is there any other admin who is community member? or else you can make one of your community members as admin temporarily so he/she can add you as member to that community.

Thanks,
Pratik
Chy WelsaChy Welsa
Hi Pratik,

The members of the community are added based on their profiles, i have added as member only a certain profile with license "High Volume Customer Portal". It was a test community, to investigate on the different advantages of using community instead of the customer portal.Since i cannot access it anymore, all my developpements are blocked. The user members of the community have minimal rights. Is there a way change the license of the profile?
Hi Chy,

If it's a test community and not much data & users on it, you can create a new community and add your profile in member list. If you want to have access to the existing community, i will request you to raise a case with Salesforce support with Org Id details and grant login access.

Thanks,
Pratik
Chy WelsaChy Welsa
Thank you so much for your prompt and valuable response Pratik. 

Since only one community can be can be created, maybe we will either refresh the sandbox or raise the issue to Salesforce support

Thanks again,

Welsa
Hi Welsa!

Thanks!

Please make sure if there are any communities in your Production org, add yourself as a member on those communities before Spring'15  release in Production.

Thanks,
Pratik

P.S. If this answers you question, please mark it as "Best Answer" so it will help other community members too.
Hi Welsa,

Hre is the article, If you are Admin and not a member of community, how you can add yourself on community as member through API:

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?urlname=How-do-I-add-myself-as-a-member-of-a-Community-if-the-Manage-Link-is-missing&language=en_US

Thanks,
Pratik
This was selected as the best answer
Chy WelsaChy Welsa
YES!! 

This is perfect!

Thanks Pratik! :D
Glad it helped!

Thanks,
Pratik
Harry DhanoaHarry Dhanoa
Thanks Pratik.
Your solution helped me too. 
Stacie Rogers 21Stacie Rogers 21
An additional comment about Pratik's solution - after adding the admin profile to the community via Data Loader, the change is not immediate. It kicks off a membership update job that took about 10 minutes (in a sandbox test community with very few members). I got an email confirmation when it was complete:

Hi <YourName>,

We finished updating membership information for <CommunityName> based on your changes. To view members or make additional changes, go to Link

Thanks,

<YourOrgName>

Simon des Forges 1Simon des Forges 1
Thanks Pratik, I used your solution after creating a new admin profile and finding that i was not linked to the Community.
Cheers,
Simon
Nikesha MasonNikesha Mason
I had access to Communities in the setup and now I can't find it in there - it was always missing the building tab but now I can't find the access point at all. Any ideas?