function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Case ManagerCase Manager 

Connect to UNIX server through an API

Is it possible to connect to a unix server from APEX code or an API?  My requirement is to connect to a unix server and fetch a csv file and place it in my local directoy. Later using Data Loader I need to upload data from the fetched csv file.  I do not want to user any third party connectors or applications.
KevinPKevinP
Case Manager,

"connect to a unix server" is more than a little vague, so let me try and parse your questtion with some guesses to fill in the blanks.

I suspect you need to connect to a server to get the .csv file, and UXIX is an interesting detail
You can connect to any kind of server over any number of protocols, depending on what software is running on the server. For instance, you can hit a unix server with an HTTP request, if there's a webserver running on it. Likewise, you can hit a windows or unix server with an FTP request if it's running an FTP server.

The ideal way, would be to have the CSV available via a HTTP request. In which case you can most definitely just make a HTTP request from Apex to your sever for the file -- assuming it's not terribly large. 

A more robust solution, and the one I'd recommend would be to use an integration tool like Jitterbit, Mulesoft or (insert one of about 9 others). these tools have the ability to make server connections over FTP, HTTP, etc. and even directly connect to databases (bypassing the need for a CSV in some situations), parse the records and upload/upsert them into salesforce objects directly.
Case ManagerCase Manager
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply, I got a better picture now.  I would like to know is there any other way than using an integration tool like Jitterbit, Mulesoft since they are Paid Applications,  I am looking to develop a  connection either to DB or hitting a HTTP request to the Unix Server. 

My need is to automate the Data Loader process, for now data is available in a DB. Apart from using the integration tools what are the other alternatives?

Thanks.