function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
PathikritPathikrit 

Controlling Feed Tracked Items

Hi,

Is there any way to control the Feed Tracking entries populated by Chatter?
Allow me to elaborate my problem. At the moment, when we have Feed Tracking in a custom object (say Test__c) for a field (FieldName__c) , when there is a change in the field value, it posts a Feed in Chatter saying 'FieldName changed from X to Y'. I wanted to customize this message if possible. 

While Chatter Triggers on FeedItem would allow me control messages entered by users manually I couldn't find a way to control this feed. 
Is there any way to do this? If not, do you have any workaround for this which might work?

Thanks!
Best Answer chosen by Pathikrit
alouie_sfdcalouie_sfdc
It's not possible to customize the message, and I can't think of a nice workaround, sorry.

All Answers

Ramanarayanan PadmanabhanRamanarayanan Padmanabhan
Hi,

This is possible using trigger. Suggested solution would be to write a trigger on Custom object (after inser,after update) to post a feed.
FeedItem object should be used to post a update.
this link would be useful. http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/49591/create-chatter-post-and-mention-user-in-trigger .

Regards,
Ram

PathikritPathikrit
Hi Ramanarayan,

Thanks for your suggestions. In fact I did try that by having a trigger on the custom object and having them insert a new FeedItem to the same parentId. But having a trigger on custom object can only let you insert a new feed rather than modifying the feed entered by Chatter. 
I meant to modify that feed. Sorry if I was not clear earlier.

Thanks
alouie_sfdcalouie_sfdc
It's not possible to customize the message, and I can't think of a nice workaround, sorry.
This was selected as the best answer