function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
David Murray 6David Murray 6 

Force.com IDE problem: "Unable to open Apex Code Editor" even on lastest Java version

Hi,

I'm new to the Force IDE. I was on the latest version of Java (Version 8, Update 31), latest version of Mac OX 10 Yosemite, and when I try to save a new trigger I created, I get the following popup error:

Unable to open Apex Code Editor.

Reason:
null argument:

I've googled for this and found someone having this issue with an old version of Java, but I'm on the latest version of Java and still having this problem. Any idea?
KevinPKevinP
I had this problem back in the days when I used Eclipse. It turned out i had another plugin that was conflicting. Only by finding (and I don't remember where) the logs and reading them did I discover that the force.com IDE plugin wasn't loading fully. 
I installed a completely fresh install of Eclipse (my machine didn't have it) with no plugins. It was the latest version, Eclipse Luna. I could scan the logs, but would be nice if someone from SF investigated this bug...
Ivhani MaseleseleIvhani Maselesele
Hi David, did you find a solution for this? I am also experiencing the same problem
It's been too long, but I'm pretty sure I did a fresh reinstallation if I remember correctly.
Jeremiah BaylesJeremiah Bayles
I've found that you can still manually save individual files to the server. Might try that. I'm going to do what seems to be working; the reinstall and will follow up in case anyone else is having this issue.
Jeremiah BaylesJeremiah Bayles
a reinstall worked.
Sam Friedman 8Sam Friedman 8
I'm having this same issue, and a reinstall of Eclipse (installed Mars rather than Oxygen this time) produced the exact same results. The message appeared after I saved my project after creating a Trigger, but it does not appear when I create an Apex class and save it, so I'm wondering if it might be something to do with the API connectivity or difficulty accessing the Accounts object from my org. Any other advice for how to fix this?
Artem RusanovskiyArtem Rusanovskiy
So, is there a solution?