function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Gary HammellGary Hammell 

VF {Page Routing Issues

Hi All,

I'm experiencing a weird problem in production:

I have set up a customer application form using a visual force page.  Successful submission of the application is supposed to route the customer to a specific confirmation page.  I tested this functionality in a sandbox, and again in production, and verified that it all works. However, over the last week a lot of customers have been routed to an older confirmation page - one which is not linked to any more from the application (it still exists as a page, but is not accessed anywhere in the setup).

I have identified that one cause of the issue is when a user submits an attachment with a file size over the allotted 10mb for visual force pages. In the sandbox (and earlier in production), we ensured that when submitting an attachment that was too large, the page displayed an error and did not route to the confirmation page. However, now in production, when someone submits a large attachment, the error does not show up and the user is routed to an old confirmation page - one which is not linked to in any way from the application.

I'm wondering why a user would be routed to an old page at all if there is no link to it. Also, why isn't the Salesforce generated error triggered when the file size is too large?

The production instance is over its data storage.  Could this be causing the issue?  Some users have been experiencing the issue, some have not.  For the users that do not have the issue, records are being created.

Thank you for your help.
logontokartiklogontokartik
Hi Gary,

FIrstly, Attachment do not count against Data Storage, but they count towards file storage,
Is it happening when you test the app? or just the users? Sometimes what happens is that browsers cache the visualforce pages and they use the old ones. (use cache="false" on the page).

Gary HammellGary Hammell
Hi logontokartik,

Thanks for your response.  I'm aware that attachments don't count against Data Storage, but wanted to point out that the instance IS above its data storage, and was wondering if that might cause errors for some reason.  I was personally able to recreate the error by submitting applications with files that were too large.  I think the error is happening in some other cases though, regardless of file size.

The thing with cacheing:  the application is supposed to redirect to an entirely different page from the old confirmation page.  We didn't just change HTML elements within the page, we created an entirely separate page.  So I wouldn't think that cacheing would be an issue, but I could be wrong.   I think usine cache="false" is probably a good idea, so thanks for that recommendation.

-Gary