function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SalesRedSalesRed 

How Long Before A Field Becomes Searchable?

Hello,  I have a custom object which has a text field I'd like to be able to search on in Global searches.  When I searched for the particular field value yesterday it did not appear however when I searched for the same value roday a record did appear.   I was wondering, is there a time-delay before a field becomes searchable?  If so, is there a way to make a record/ field immediately searchable?

Thanks for any suggestions on this.
Gaurav KheterpalGaurav Kheterpal
This does take  several minutes in a Large Data Volume Org for Salesforce.com to do the Search indexing. You can find more details in the Salesforce Large Data Volumes Best Practices Guide (http://www.salesforce.com/docs/en/cce/ldv_deployments/salesforce_large_data_volumes_bp.pdf).

This is also discussed on StackExchange (http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/62826/salesforce-gobal-serach-results-from-api).

To summarise, it does take some time (usually an order of few minutes) but it's not predictable.

If my answer helps resolve your query, please mark it as the 'Best Answer' & upvote it to benefit others and improve the overall quality of Discussion Forums.

Gaurav Kheterpal
Certified Force.com Developer| Salesforce Mobile Evangelist| Developer Forums Moderator| Dreamforce Speaker

PratikPratik (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi SalesRed,

There is no such time lag pr latency to seacrh a record pr field value. The record is searchable as soon as it gets created. You can try creating few records and tru searching them and let us know if you find any issue or time lag.

Thanks,
Pratik
SalesRedSalesRed
Hi Guys, thanks for the help.  I'm a bit confused now as Gaurav's post suggests a delay can occur while Partik you mention it should not.  On reading through the stackexchange post it does appear that a time-lag can exist.  The org I am searching in is not particularly processing large data volumes as it's only a sandbox in which I have been doing some pre-deployment testing but it does seem that a time-lag occurs before a record becomes searchable.
Erol TokerErol Toker
I noticed that phone numbers especially can take a while to be searchable, which is sort of a problem when you are doing prospecting and trying to do click to call right away out of salesforce.  Is there anything that can be done about this?  Are different field types 'indexed' at different speeds?