function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Matt FolgerMatt Folger 

Product vs. Opportunity Product...? Help!

Hi, confused about Opportunity Products as opposed to Products.  User's can't see certain items in Opportunity Products that exist in Products, but I'm not sure how to map these as the Opportunity Product "object" appears to be referencing the Product object.  So I can't update the Name field (among other fields) on the Opportunity Product that only exist on the Product.  So why can't I see all my Products in Opportunity Products?

It's confusing.
Best Answer chosen by Matt Folger
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
User-added image

So I'm definately an Admin.  But I'm not seeing that button that you're showing in your screenshot, in addition to not seeing Price Books in certain screens (we only have one, the "Standard Price Book").  When I look at an individual Product and then try and add that to a Price Book it doesn't find a Price Book in the search (either with blank criteria or with the actual name of the existing Price Book = "Standard Price Book").  

Very lost, this seems very bizarre.  And I can't find any documentation or videos on something that would seem to need to be explained, the data relationship between these joined objects in which causes all these difficulties.

Is there any guide or explanation as to WHY this is as it is?  I'm sure there's some logical reason regarding Opportunity Product and Product objects, but without understanding the reasoning it's hard to determine what the structure is or should be in these regards.

All Answers

MJ_MMJ_M
The products are associated with Price books. You give users access to the price books which then allow the users to add the products to the opportunities.

Look at the product and see what price book it is associated to. Then make sure the users can 'use' that price book. 
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
Thanks for the reply! 

I see that we've only got 1 price book, where would the access control for this be?  Even when the user in question does an 'item' search in the Opportunity Product they don't see an item in question (a "UAT-100") that's in the Product object.

It looks like this:

User-added image

This looks to be little other than just a glorifed query view. 
MJ_MMJ_M
If you click on the link for Standard Price Book link, there is a button in there that says 'Add'. That is where you can add a user and give them 'Use' access.
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
I may be dumb, but where is that?  I'm not seeing that anywhere.

User-added image
MJ_MMJ_M
Are you an Admin? This is what mine looks like:

User-added image
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
User-added image

So I'm definately an Admin.  But I'm not seeing that button that you're showing in your screenshot, in addition to not seeing Price Books in certain screens (we only have one, the "Standard Price Book").  When I look at an individual Product and then try and add that to a Price Book it doesn't find a Price Book in the search (either with blank criteria or with the actual name of the existing Price Book = "Standard Price Book").  

Very lost, this seems very bizarre.  And I can't find any documentation or videos on something that would seem to need to be explained, the data relationship between these joined objects in which causes all these difficulties.

Is there any guide or explanation as to WHY this is as it is?  I'm sure there's some logical reason regarding Opportunity Product and Product objects, but without understanding the reasoning it's hard to determine what the structure is or should be in these regards.
This was selected as the best answer