function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RetreeverRetreever 

cross object workflow trigger

I have (2) objects, Client (Master) and Purchases (Detail). I want to build a workflow that will trigger a Thank You email to the Client when they make a new Purchase. The challenge is the email address is on the Client object while the Purchase record is what would trigger the workflow, I was able to create a formula field on the Purchase object to copy the email address from the Client object to the Purchase object but the Workflow tool won't recognize it as a "Email" field. Would anyone have any suggestions?
Best Answer chosen by Retreever
Bhanu MaheshBhanu Mahesh
HI Retreever,

Instead of formula field, create a Email field on Purchases and in the workflow create a field update which populates this email field with client email. That is it. You can be able to select that email field while creating the email alert.

As all the field updates fire first, the email address will be available for email alert to send.

Regards,
Bhanu Mahesh

All Answers

Bhanu MaheshBhanu Mahesh
HI Retreever,

Instead of formula field, create a Email field on Purchases and in the workflow create a field update which populates this email field with client email. That is it. You can be able to select that email field while creating the email alert.

As all the field updates fire first, the email address will be available for email alert to send.

Regards,
Bhanu Mahesh
This was selected as the best answer
RetreeverRetreever
Thanks Bhanu, looks like this works exactly the way I wanted.