function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Merry SMerry S 

Compare list (from a split multi-select picklist) to records in database

I have a trigger that looks at a multi-select picklist on a custom object, and then splits the vaules and creates records on another object. The issue that I have is that it will create multiple new records since there is no logic to see if a record already exists.

On the Account_RoadMap__c object I have a field named Product_Planned_to_Purchase__c, it is multi-select. When this field is updated I want it to create a record for each product created on the object Account_RoadMap_Product__c related to both the Account Roadmap and the Account. However, if there is already a record on the Account Roadmap Product that matches what is in the multi-select picklist, I dont want it to create another record.

I have tried comparing lists - but I am just not sure how to get there. Any help would be much appreciated. 

trigger AutoCreateRoadMapProduct on Account_RoadMap__c (after update) {
    List<Account_RoadMap_Product__c> products = new List<Account_RoadMap_Product__c>();

//For each roadmap processed by the trigger, add a new  

//product record for the specified product.  

for (Account_RoadMap__c newRM: Trigger.New) {
        if (newRM.Product_Planned_to_Purchase__c != null) {
            // split out the multi-select picklist using the semicolon delimiter
            for(String product: newRM.Product_Planned_to_Purchase__c.split(';')){
                products.add(new Account_RoadMap_Product__c(
                        Product_Name__c = product,
                        RoadMap__c = newRM.Id,
                        Account_Name__c = newRM.Account_Name__c));
            }
        }
    }
    insert products;
}

David ZhuDavid Zhu
I would add a fomular field called RoadAndAccount __c on Product_Planned_to_Purchase__c to concatenate RoadMap__C and Account_Name__C.

Then before adding products, delete all existing matching products.

List<Account_RoadMap_Product__c> products = new List<Account_RoadMap_Product__c>();
    List<string> R_A = list<string>();

if (newRM.Product_Planned_to_Purchase__c != null) {
                        RoadMap__c = newRM.Id,
                        R_A.add(newRM.Id + newRM.Account_Name__c);
            }
        }
    }
    delete [select id from Account_RoadMap_Product__c where RoadAndAccount in :R_A];
    insert products;

}
Merry SMerry S

Unfortunately I cannot do it that way - there is other information on the Account_RoadMap_Product__c that will be updated after it is created - so deleting them each time would not work.

I have been playing with part of that you gave me - I added the new list - and then had the newRM.Id + newRM.Account_Name__c as you did in your example. I also created a new field on the Account_RoadMap_Product__c which holds the concatenated RoadMap__C and Account_Name__C, as you suggested. However, I was thinking there must be a way to compare the two lists and only insert the difference. But - still no joy. See updated code below:

I did have to update the code a little so that it would check to see if the Product_Planned_to_Purchase__c field had changed, not just checking to see if it is not null as it was creating new records at every save (should have seen that coming!).

list<string> R_A = new list<string>();

Account_RoadMap__c oldRM = Trigger.oldMap.get(newRM.Id);
			String O = OldRM.Product_Planned_to_Purchase__c;
			String N = newRM.Product_Planned_to_Purchase__c;
			if(O != N){
                        RoadMap__c = newRM.Id,
						R_A.add(newRM.Id+' '+newRM.Account_Name__c);

}
        }
    }

insert products;
}