function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Amanda Byrne- Carolina Tiger RescueAmanda Byrne- Carolina Tiger Rescue 

How to create an actual object relationship from a theoretical one for reporting

I am using a third party app to manage Events, and another 3rd party app by the same company (Click&Pledge) for payment processing.  The two apps functionally work together, but there are some key downsides- one being that there is nothing actually connecting the ticket purchase record in the Events app with the Opportunity that the Payment processing app creates.

There is one field, the Transaction Order ID, that contains the same value in both apps and in Salesforce, but is not actually a master-child or lookup relationship. In Opportunities, it's a lookup field to the Transaction custom object (part of the payment processing) called C&P Order Number, in the Events app is just a text field on the "Registrant" object called Transaction Order Number.

I need to create a report that shows all the Opportunities for the Event (the event is recorded as a lookup on the Registrant object). Is there a way I could create a custom lookup field to connect the registrant with the Opportunity? (this would be a 1:many, because each ticket becomes a separate opportunity, so if a registrant buys 4 tickets, there's 4 Opportunities.) Maybe set the default value as a formula field to pull the value from the Transaction Order Number text field?
Cyrus TalladenCyrus Talladen
When you create lookup relationships remember that the relationship must be created from the child object of the relationship.  After that you will be able to access fields of the child object in the parent object using your custom formula field.  In this case a Registrant has many Opportunities so the child in this case is a Opportunity.

Cyrus Talladen
CRM Engineer
www.levementum.com