function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Lori StippLori Stipp 

Creating a record in Process Builder, can't access parent's ID

In Process Builder, I've created a process that, when a new Account is created, creates a new Contact record, whose fields' values come from custom fields on my Account object. My process works as expected as far as creating the new Contact with the field values that I want. However, I would like the Contact to lookup to that Account. When I try to assign the following Contact field in the Process Builder

Account Id = [Account__c].Id

I get the following error when I try to create an Account and trigger my process.

Workflow Action Failed to Trigger Flow
The record couldn’t be saved because it failed to trigger a flow. 
A flow trigger failed to execute the flow with version ID 301j0000000TsHi. 
Contact your administrator for help. 

I assume this is because the Account hasn't actually been inserted yet and has no ID, but how do I get around this. It seems like a very common scenario to want to relate your newly created records to the "triggering" record.
Thanks in advance,
Lori
KaranrajKaranraj
Lori - I'm not getting any problem for this scenario, I can able to create contact record automatically when new Account record is created and the contact record also associated with account record properly. It should display __c because Account is standard object, check the screenshot below for the maping the contact object Account Id to Account.Id

User-added image
Lori StippLori Stipp
Thanks for you reply. Yes, that is what my mapping looks like as well, but I get a runtime exception when I try to create the Account. If I take that mapping out and I'm just mapping other fields, like text fields, no problem. Do you get an error at runtime?
Thanks!
KaranrajKaranraj
No I'm not getting any run time error message. There might be some other validation or code throwing the error message. For debuging try manually relate any contact record with the account with the values which you are getting in process builder
Alysha ChapmanAlysha Chapman
Hi Lori 

I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem? I am having the same problem and an unsure how to fix it. Thanks for your help!!

DelanoLDelanoL
My answer may be comming too late, but I ran into this post while searching something different about process builder.
I thing the problem is the field you are trying to use "Account__c". The Account field on the Contact object is not a custom field.
In the process builder create record you should have: 
Field: Account
Type: Reference 
Value: [Account].Id
Madhukar Reddy 23Madhukar Reddy 23
Hi All,
By using process builder can't able to create contact record automatically when new Account record is created and the contact record also associated with account record properly
User-added image