function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Kevin LanguedocKevin Languedoc 

Case Owner Read-Only

I know this question has been asked before. The question was never satisfactorily answered. 

I have changed the configuration of the Case Owner field in the Case layout to read-only, but the "change" is still active.

Is there a way to override this behaviour to remove this link, or by making this Case Owner really read-only?

or  as workaround I have created a new formula field : Owner:User.FirstName + " " +  Owner:User.LastName. However this only works (shows the owner) after the case is saved. Is there a way to make the Owner apear when the Case is created just like the real Owner field?

maybe have two layouts 1) one with the owner field when the case is created, 2) in edit mode, the case owner is replaced with my custom field.

or, programmically swich fields with a trigger when the case is saved.
Best Answer chosen by Kevin Languedoc
Vijaya Kumar RegantiVijaya Kumar Reganti

Hi Kevin,

Try the following work around for this.

1.Create two RecordTypes and two page layouts(readonly, normal).
2.Use your formula field in the read only layout and remove the normal owner field.
3.Assign corresponding layouts to RecordTypes.
4.Write a workflow to update the recordType to Readonly recordType from the Normal RecordType.

It will update the layout to read Only layout and the owner field will be read only in that layout.

reply for any queries.

Thanks,
Vijay

All Answers

Vijaya Kumar RegantiVijaya Kumar Reganti

Hi Kevin,

Try the following work around for this.

1.Create two RecordTypes and two page layouts(readonly, normal).
2.Use your formula field in the read only layout and remove the normal owner field.
3.Assign corresponding layouts to RecordTypes.
4.Write a workflow to update the recordType to Readonly recordType from the Normal RecordType.

It will update the layout to read Only layout and the owner field will be read only in that layout.

reply for any queries.

Thanks,
Vijay

This was selected as the best answer
This partially works. When the user clicks on the "New" case button, the layout for new cases should be automatically generated instead the user is presented with a screen with picklist field asking them to select a layout or record type. How to automatically load one page layout for new cases without asking the user to choose a record type, and automatically load another layout/record type for that doesn't have the Ownet field.
MissedCallMissedCall
+Vijay

There is a way to default the record type selection on record creation. First make sure the record type is defaulted on the profile level and then You need to navigate to My Settings -- Display & Layout -- Set Default Record Types. 
That is really cool. Can I assign a default record type at the profile level
You both have the "Best Answer" for the specific questions. Unfornutaley the system only allows to assign one per thread I think
MissedCallMissedCall
Happy to help, no big deal about the credit :).