function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Moshe GottliebMoshe Gottlieb 

External Lookup relationships are not being populated?

I have two external objects
EXT_Projects
EXT_Stores

I am trying to create a lookup from the Store to the Project. Both Objects have a field called ProjectID so I am trying to create an external lookup from EXT_Stores to EXT_Projects on that column. But when I try and retrieve the relationship it doesnt work and looking at the resulting data that new external lookup field is always empty? What is wrong? How do I get it populated?
Is it dependant on how the source tables are indexed - ie I dont currently have a foreign key relationship (even though this is what this is)

Please can someone help?
THanks
PratikPratik (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Moshe,

Can you please check once if the relationship set up properly.

you can refer to:
https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=external_object_external_lookup_relationships.htm&language=en_US

Thanks,
Pratik
Agustina GarciaAgustina Garcia
Maybe your issues comes from the begining. 

Have you checked that ProjecId field is populated after creating the External Data Source and the objects? My first try is to create 2 tabs for these External Objects and see if all fields are popuplated as expected.

After that, go to the External Object and select the field that you want to use as external lookup, click edit and change its type to External Lookup. Maybe the most important thing here is to keep the Column Name in the External Column Name field. 

Another advice is to set a unique value on This ProjectId. 

Remember that both, Indirect lookup and External Lookup works as usual lookup fields, so relationship could be many to many. The only diference with current lookups is that these 2 new fields does not need "ID" value with 15 or 18 characters. You can set a text value that is much more friendly. It is quite cool, isn't it?

Hope this help
Vishal_GuptaVishal_Gupta
Hi Moshe,

Yes External Lookup field dependent on the source and its always follow the relationship which we have on our external datasource. Please make the proper relationship on your external datasource and after that your external lookup field will populate.

Hope this will help.

Regards,
Vishal Gupta