function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Neelam SinghNeelam Singh 

What are the pros and cons when using a Workflow Rule Field Update vs. a Formula Field?

What are the pros and cons when using a Workflow Rule Field Update vs. a Formula Field?
Best Answer chosen by Neelam Singh
RishavRishav
Hii Neelam,
 I think you r new with salesforce , but no problem.
 First thing to remember is that "Worflow rule" is not a field type in salesforce. Workflow rule is the process automation tool that automate your business flow .
Formula field: it is a field type on salesforce that produce a read only ouptut. Sometimes u want some calculated value in a field lest say i want my total sell in day in one field then i can create one formula field on my object and i will write a formula that will calculate total sell .
The field included in formula field is called it's source. 

Now there is a similarity between workflow and formula field.:
Whenever there is a change in the source field of formula field it automatically re-calculate its field value according to updated value in the source field.
In same fashion workflow can also do the field update.

one more thing formula field can't use the workflow but inside a workflow we use formula field. 
there are only one criteria to update the value of formula field but for workflow u can define different kind of criteria.

Hope it will help you.
if u got it please mark the best answer so that it will help others also.
If u have any doubt then please let me know.

thanks
Rishav kumar

All Answers

RishavRishav
Hii Neelam,
 I think you r new with salesforce , but no problem.
 First thing to remember is that "Worflow rule" is not a field type in salesforce. Workflow rule is the process automation tool that automate your business flow .
Formula field: it is a field type on salesforce that produce a read only ouptut. Sometimes u want some calculated value in a field lest say i want my total sell in day in one field then i can create one formula field on my object and i will write a formula that will calculate total sell .
The field included in formula field is called it's source. 

Now there is a similarity between workflow and formula field.:
Whenever there is a change in the source field of formula field it automatically re-calculate its field value according to updated value in the source field.
In same fashion workflow can also do the field update.

one more thing formula field can't use the workflow but inside a workflow we use formula field. 
there are only one criteria to update the value of formula field but for workflow u can define different kind of criteria.

Hope it will help you.
if u got it please mark the best answer so that it will help others also.
If u have any doubt then please let me know.

thanks
Rishav kumar

This was selected as the best answer
Elad Kaplan 3Elad Kaplan 3
Formula Field is a field that is updated everytime you load the page, it is not writable and you can't fire a trigger or a workflow based on the change of a formula field, can't answer that since I don't know what are you trying to achieve.. 
Neelam SinghNeelam Singh
Thanks Rishav :)