function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NickodemusNickodemus 

Many-to-Many relationship between Contacts and Accounts

Hi,

I have a situation where a contact can own/work for multiple Accounts at the same time. 

I need to be able to have a single contact record but allow that contact to be principle of mulitple accounts (i.e. not just a role on supplementary accounts, but an actual contact). Is this possible, or do i have to use the Account Contact Roles junction, and just change the role types to be more meaningful? The problem with this is that the Contact Role doesn't appear in the 'Contact' related list; plus I can't edit the Contact Roles related list in the Account object - it shows the Account the Contact is actually linked to....

Any help would be great!

Thanks.
Best Answer chosen by Nickodemus
Sameer Tyagi SFDCSameer Tyagi SFDC
Hi Nick, 

Contact Roles is the only standard feature, through which you can associate a contact with multiple accounts, Cases and Opportunites. 

1. You need to add Contact roles related list on Account page layouts,
2. You can edit  Contact Role list from Contact role settings
Setup>Customize>Accounts>Contact Roles
3. When you click on 'New' button from Contact role related list, you will be able to lookup a contact and set role and save it under account. 

However  I have another solution for you.
You an create a "Contact Role"  custom  object . Here could be the field details
1. Name  field could be auto number, (You do not need Name field)
2. Contact Name : Lookup to contact 
2. Account Name : Lookup to account
3 Picklist (In which you mention Roles)

You will be able to see/edit Contact Role(Custom) related list  below contact and Account both pages. 

Regards,
Sameer Tyagi
http://www.mirketa.com/

All Answers

Sameer Tyagi SFDCSameer Tyagi SFDC
Hi Nick, 

Contact Roles is the only standard feature, through which you can associate a contact with multiple accounts, Cases and Opportunites. 

1. You need to add Contact roles related list on Account page layouts,
2. You can edit  Contact Role list from Contact role settings
Setup>Customize>Accounts>Contact Roles
3. When you click on 'New' button from Contact role related list, you will be able to lookup a contact and set role and save it under account. 

However  I have another solution for you.
You an create a "Contact Role"  custom  object . Here could be the field details
1. Name  field could be auto number, (You do not need Name field)
2. Contact Name : Lookup to contact 
2. Account Name : Lookup to account
3 Picklist (In which you mention Roles)

You will be able to see/edit Contact Role(Custom) related list  below contact and Account both pages. 

Regards,
Sameer Tyagi
http://www.mirketa.com/

This was selected as the best answer
Mudasir WaniMudasir Wani

Hi Nick,

Please have a look on the following 
https://success.salesforce.com/answers?id=90630000000gvRIAAY

Donot forget to select best answer to make our efforts visible in the developer forum.
Please mark this as solution by selecting it as best answer if this solves your problem, So that if anyone has this issue this post can help
NickodemusNickodemus
Thanks guys. got it sorted.