function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Patrick ConnerPatrick Conner 

Keeping Track of Multiple Field Values

We currently import data to a field, overwriting old data each time. We'd like to begin importing data to that field and keeping the previous data as well. How can we do this?

My thoughts:
Instead of overwriting field values each import, is there a way to append to the current value? Ex. FIELD1: oldvalue1, newervalue1, importedtodayvalue1

Maybe it's necessary to import to a picklist and create a workflow rule to prepend new data to a field in a list similar to above? How would we go about doing this? We'd like all data to be searchable.

Thanks so much for any help!
Best Answer chosen by Patrick Conner
@NikunjVadi - This would have absolutely been a solution. But I was hoping not to create another object.
@Sura - Thanks for answering! The problem is history tracking isn't searchable (required).

My solution:
  • I created two fields - "Latest CardRef" (text, 40) and "CardRef History" (text area, long)
  • I then created a workflow rule to evaluate when the record is created, and every time it’s edited, with the following criteria:
AND(
ISCHANGED(Latest_Cardref__c),
NOT(ISBLANK(Latest_Cardref__c))
)
  • On this work flow rule is an immediate action (field update) on CardRef History with the formula value:
Latest_Cardref__c & ', ' & (PRIORVALUE(Latest_Cardref__c))
  • This allows me to have the latest CardRef value in it's own field "Latest CardRef" for reporting, and all CardRefs, including all past CardRefs in a field (CardRef History) that is searchable.
Thanks!

All Answers

NikunjVadiNikunjVadi
Hey,

How often you update field. if you want to keep track of last to field value only than you can create a field for old value like you said and keep it hidden in pagelayout or whatever you would like to do .  you can create before update trigger or workflow to send the old value to another field(which wont be shown in pagelayout). that field should be searchble. 
Thanks for responding so fast! I did think about creating new fields for each update value, but unfortunately that could mean dozens of new fields (the field is a "card ref" value).
NikunjVadiNikunjVadi
Than you can go for an object.

Create an object . 3 fields -
1)value
2)date
3)account- object map

you can create a trigger ,which will be trigger on update of value. create a record in object, which will be child record of card or account according to situation . that way you can link that with account . and can see all previous values,  and will be dynamic.

hope that helps you :)
surasura

you can enable history tracking feature for the object . but Salesforce has enforece a limit of 20 fields per object on history tracking . through history tracking you can track all the changes made to fields of histroy tracking enabled object records
refer below link
http://salesforcecat.blogspot.com/2014/10/salesforce-history-tracking.html
@NikunjVadi - This would have absolutely been a solution. But I was hoping not to create another object.
@Sura - Thanks for answering! The problem is history tracking isn't searchable (required).

My solution:
  • I created two fields - "Latest CardRef" (text, 40) and "CardRef History" (text area, long)
  • I then created a workflow rule to evaluate when the record is created, and every time it’s edited, with the following criteria:
AND(
ISCHANGED(Latest_Cardref__c),
NOT(ISBLANK(Latest_Cardref__c))
)
  • On this work flow rule is an immediate action (field update) on CardRef History with the formula value:
Latest_Cardref__c & ', ' & (PRIORVALUE(Latest_Cardref__c))
  • This allows me to have the latest CardRef value in it's own field "Latest CardRef" for reporting, and all CardRefs, including all past CardRefs in a field (CardRef History) that is searchable.
Thanks!
This was selected as the best answer
surasura
hi Patrick ,

Salesforce history tracking records can be accessed form your apex code 
please refer http://salesforcecat.blogspot.com/2014/11/salesforce-history-tracking-access.html

I think history tracking way is more reliable and  take less development effort and saves you a custom object :).

Ken S (OLD ACCOUNT)Ken S (OLD ACCOUNT)
@Patrick Conner, I believe your solution above should say:

CardRef_History__c & ', ' & (PRIORVALUE(Latest_Cardref__c))

Otherwise you overwrite the first value each time and only append the prior value, ending up with only 2 values in the field each time, instead of the entire history by appending the current field's prior value to the existing history.

FYI, I created a similar solution based on your example to replace a MSP containing muliple years with a Picklist and history field for my Permissions Slip fields. Since the picklist values are years, I wanted the most current year to be listed at the top, and to display the previous years in the history field, one on each line (I intend to add a validation rule to ensure the user cannot select a year earlier than the currently selected year):

TEXT(PRIORVALUE(Permission_Slip_year__c)) + BR() +  Permission_Slip_History_years__c

p.s. Apparently there's a bug in Process Builder using BR() this way, so you have to use Workflow Rules (https://success.salesforce.com/issues_view?id=a1p300000008YkZAAU&title=_br_encoded_-markers-are-not-replaced-for-text-formula-values-used-by-apex-flow-process-when-those-values-are-populated-in-other-text-text-area-fields)