function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Riyaz KhanRiyaz Khan 

Get login error with Data Loader

I am new in Salesforce. Today I have downloaded Data Loader to check import functionality from desktop. But when I am trying to get login via Data Loader, it's give error. 'Error log in to Salesforce' whereas I can login into salesforce in browser with same credential.

Will you please help me out this problem?
Best Answer chosen by Riyaz Khan
KaranrajKaranraj
Hi Riyaz - You have to include securitytoekn along with your password when you are login to the dataloader. Append the security token value to the end of your password, such as passwordXXXXX.

A security token is an automatically generated key that you use with your password, or in a separate field, when you use a client application to connect with a Salesforce organization. Security tokens are only required when all of the following are true.
  • You are logging in with a client application that requires API access, such as Connect for Outlook, Connect Offline, Connect for Office, Connect for Lotus Notes, or the Data Loader.
  • The client application is designed to require the token value.
To get or reset your security token:At the top of any Salesforce page, click the down arrow next to your name. From the menu under your name, select Setup or My Settings—whichever one appears.
From the left pane, select one of the following:
  • If you clicked Setup, select My Personal Information | Reset My Security Token.
  • If you clicked My Settings, select Personal | Reset My Security Token.
Click the Reset Security Token button. The new security token is sent via email to the email address on your Salesforce user record. Keep this email. Your security token is not displayed in your settings or profile

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard
When you access Salesforce via the UI, you have to supply the security token too - are you providing this?
KaranrajKaranraj
Hi Riyaz - You have to include securitytoekn along with your password when you are login to the dataloader. Append the security token value to the end of your password, such as passwordXXXXX.

A security token is an automatically generated key that you use with your password, or in a separate field, when you use a client application to connect with a Salesforce organization. Security tokens are only required when all of the following are true.
  • You are logging in with a client application that requires API access, such as Connect for Outlook, Connect Offline, Connect for Office, Connect for Lotus Notes, or the Data Loader.
  • The client application is designed to require the token value.
To get or reset your security token:At the top of any Salesforce page, click the down arrow next to your name. From the menu under your name, select Setup or My Settings—whichever one appears.
From the left pane, select one of the following:
  • If you clicked Setup, select My Personal Information | Reset My Security Token.
  • If you clicked My Settings, select Personal | Reset My Security Token.
Click the Reset Security Token button. The new security token is sent via email to the email address on your Salesforce user record. Keep this email. Your security token is not displayed in your settings or profile
This was selected as the best answer
Chidanand MChidanand M
@Riyaz 

Append your password with Security token

Example:
passwordsecuritytoken
passwordXXXXXXXX
Riyaz KhanRiyaz Khan
Thanks to All, it works
Tracy DyeTracy Dye
Why doesn't the badge say to use a security token?  It takes you through every other step.  And it's three years later, same issue, but not "personal" under settings to find security token.