function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TheRealistTheRealist 

Why i am unable to create a master detail relationship even after created a lookup before converting it into master detail ?

Hi Everyone,

I am seeing something strage,
I am trying to create a master detail relationship between two abjects the child object has existing data,so i tried 2 ways

1. created a lookup field,populated data in the records then tried to change the field type as master detail ,but no luck,then 
2. i have deleted all the records of the object on which i am trying to create a master detail relationship and tried to create a new master detail field but either ways i am seeing the error "you can not create M D on existing data,

i wonder where is the existing data when i have deleted all the records myself that too 1st i have deleted records in one object and then in both the objects
i have successfully M-D relationship lot of times but dont know why i am unable to do this now.

NOTE: i am not sure if this helps for your reference or not, i have only one standard name field and 1 custom lookup field on the object on which i was trying to create a M-D relationship,however later on i even tried after deleting all the records and that lookup field too and then tried creating a new M-D field because the object no more having any data but no use in all the ways i am seiing same error 

surasura
try after clearing your recycle bin .delete all you deleted records from recycle bin and try
sailaja majji 5sailaja majji 5
Hi ,

Hoping clearing the recycle bin should solve the issue  .
Let me know if it still an issue .

Thanks

TheRealistTheRealist
HI @Sura @Sailaja majji 5
i even tried that before posting here,,,still no luck... 
surasura
check whehter your scernario satisfy below requirments under master detail relationship section 

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=relationships_considerations.htm&language=en_US (https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=relationships_considerations.htm&language=en_US)