function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NickodemusNickodemus 

Person Account or Contact - Which is best?

Need to make a decision on whether to use Person Account or Contact on my Org.

Essentially, I need to be able to link a contact to more than one Account - I was thinking of using Contact Roles for this, but it's been suggested i can use Person Account instead. What's the general opinion and main issues with both solutions?

Many thanks,
Nick

NickodemusNickodemus
Just to add - if, hypothetically, Person Account is already in place, but i have an opportunity to start from scratch and do the whole thing over again, would the work be worth it to change to Contacts+Accounts, rather than stick with Person and Business Accounts?
sivaextsivaext
Hi, 

If you want link one contact to many accounts, 

I would suggest to use accountcontactrole  object to achieve this. This object has lookup with account and contact, i.e. M:M relationship between account and contacts.

Regards
Siva.
NickodemusNickodemus
Thanks for the reply Sivaext, but as i mention in my post, i'm aware of the two different options; I am trying to compile a compelling argument to use one vs the other.

You'd use Contact Roles, but why would you use that instead of Person Accounts?

Thanks.
sivaextsivaext
Hi, 

if you use person accounts as contacts, are you going to link person account with account lookup? (you can't use parent account because person account)

if you use person accounts, you are achieving M:M relationship with self-relationship account. It won't recommend as best practices. 

In future if you want enable communities, person accounts not suitable.

Thanks & Regards
Siva.