function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RitikRitik 

Check dependency of a field.

Hi,

How can I check a particular field's dependencyin the org.

To ensure dependency I have tried to delete the field but it is not the foolproof solution as some dependecies, like reports etc., are not getting covered in that.

SO what is method by which I can garuntee that a metadata (especially a field) is used /have dependency in all other metadata?

Eg: A field XYZ is used in a class, VF page, validation rule, report etc.
So I need the list wherever this XYZ field is used.

Hope my query is clear, but do let me know if any further information is required.

Thanks,
Ritik

RitikRitik
Mainly custom report type, reports, History etc. are not getting mentioned while deleting the field.
So I think there can be other components/functionalities as well where this field is being used.
 So I need a list of component which will act as a proof that the given field is not used in any component out of this list.

Regards,
Ritik
Ankit AroraAnkit Arora
Unfortunately there is no clear way to do this. One is what are already doing, deleting and checking. Other way to have complete code (with reports and all) in eclipse and check the references. But if reports are held privately then it will not be displayed in eclipse.
RitikRitik
Thanks Ankit for your swift reply. :)
Ok.
So should I assume that there is no method by which we can check the metadata dependencies.

I was wondering if we can get anything by describe call.....

Regards,
Ritik

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora
For now no! And don't think describe will help, though you can try with metadata API or tooling API. Not sure on it.