function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Gabriel Corrêa de OliveiraGabriel Corrêa de Oliveira 

Poor performance of Salesforce without any customization

I am very new to Salesforce and the first thing I noticed about the platform was its poor performance.

Clearly it's not a Web 2.0 application since full page reloads are the standard navigation mechanism.
Load times of 5s, 10s, or even 15s are common in my company's day-to-day usage of Salesforce.

I've heard excuses saying that it's because our "org" is overloaded with data. So, I decided to create a developer account and see how Salesforce behaves with a brand new empty "org". As a result, I couldn't be more disappointed.

I clicked through the standard tabs like Accounts, Contacts, and Leads, which all take several seconds to load empty.

Then I analyzed some of these pages with Google Chrome's Page Speed tool which found a myriad of performance issues like:
  • Avoid Redirects 
    • (L)Minimize redirects
  • Reduce blocking resources 
    • (M)Inline Small JavaScript, (L)Optimize the order of styles and scripts
  • Minimize payload 
    • (H)Combine images into CSS sprites, (L)Serve resources from a consistent URL, (L)Minify JavaScript, (L)Minify CSS, (L)Minify HTML, (L)Optimize images
  • Minimize delay in page load 
    • (H)Minimize request size, (L)Avoid bad requests, (L)Specify image dimensions, (L)Put CSS in the document head
  • Other 
    • (H)Defer parsing of JavaScript, (L)Remove query strings from static resources, (L)Specify a Vary: Accept-Encoding header

As a confirmation, I also ran YSlow, from Yahoo, against them, and got only C as an average grade.

In addition, higher network latency adds to the poor optimization of the web UI and makes the overall user experience even worse, since most of our users are in South America while the nearest Salesforce data centers are in the United States.

Moreover, Salesforce doesn't seem to make use of any global CDN to optimize the load time of static components.

After all, I wonder if other large Salesforce users experience similar difficulties. I find it odd that little is discussed on the web about the performance of Salesforce itself, since I'm not even talking about other applications that one could develop on the Force.com platform.
TJ McDowellTJ McDowell
15 seconds?  When I run Salesforce content off my mobile hotspot, I see degraded performance, but not that bad.  I see bad performance from other sites at the same time too - so connection issue.  Have you gone network geek yet to do things like ping or trace route to see if it's network related?
If you've got a ton of data and you're seeing bad performance, it could be because you're not using built in indexes or maybe need another index added (email request required).