function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mathew Andresen 5Mathew Andresen 5 

Use Lightning connect to provide products

Hi,

I'm wondering if I made a connection through Lightning connect if I could use that to provide the products that people could pick from in an opportunity.

Is this possible?]

Thanks
Best Answer chosen by Mathew Andresen 5
Mohith Kumar ShrivastavaMohith Kumar Shrivastava
You will have to build your own page if you are doing the Product Add .

The other workaround would be to use batch process to convert external objects data to real product data by copying to Product table .

External Objects dont exist in SFDC ,they are virtually presented .You can build relationships with actual objects through external object lookups but dont expect CRM functionality to happen on those without custom code .

All Answers

SonamSonam (Salesforce Developers) 
Lightning connect is primarily used when users wish to connect to a 3rd party database without storing the data in salesforce. So yes, if you have a 3rd party where you have products stored - you can connect and have an indirect relationship between the opportunity object and the external object(products) such that you can relate the two.

Read more on the relationship you can establish:
https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=overview_of_custom_object_relationships.htm

And this would actually connect into the built in product object?
Mohith Kumar ShrivastavaMohith Kumar Shrivastava
You will have to build your own page if you are doing the Product Add .

The other workaround would be to use batch process to convert external objects data to real product data by copying to Product table .

External Objects dont exist in SFDC ,they are virtually presented .You can build relationships with actual objects through external object lookups but dont expect CRM functionality to happen on those without custom code .
This was selected as the best answer
This makes perfect sense, thanks,