function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ivana Miserda 6Ivana Miserda 6 

Continuous integration with Git

Hi all,

I would like to transfer my SF project on git - more specifically on Bitbucket. I would like to use tool for CI as well.
questions:
1. which tool is better to use - jenkins or bamboo? do both have an option to use it in the cloud, or do i have to install it locally?
2. how do i manage that one branch pushes changes to test enviornment and other one to do production?
3. is it a problem that multiple developers use same sandbox (that is the situation on our project, there is 3 of us)?

Any info is valuable, thank you in advance
Best Answer chosen by Ivana Miserda 6
Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher
If you're looking to set Jenkins up in a cloud-hosting scenario, you can Google companies that do that kind of hosting and setup pretty easily (a quick Google search for "Jenkins Hosting" yielded 3 pages of valid results)

For your other questions above:

2) when you configure Jenkins, you can specify which branch you are pushing to what instance
3) It's not a "problem", but you will run into overwriting each other's code and having to deal with a lot of Git merges/conflict situations.

All Answers

The tool of choice is really up to how your business/process works and how you want to work with it.  Jenkins and Bamboo are great, there are many many more - up to AutoRabit if you want to go all out.

@Andy, thank you for you reply.

If you know, can you please help with other questions as well? specially - how to set up jenkins in a cloud?

If you're looking to set Jenkins up in a cloud-hosting scenario, you can Google companies that do that kind of hosting and setup pretty easily (a quick Google search for "Jenkins Hosting" yielded 3 pages of valid results)

For your other questions above:

2) when you configure Jenkins, you can specify which branch you are pushing to what instance
3) It's not a "problem", but you will run into overwriting each other's code and having to deal with a lot of Git merges/conflict situations.

This was selected as the best answer
@andy thank you so much, I know these questions sound trivial but I am trying to set up a scenario and plan for our project.
No worries!  Your questions aren't trivial by any means - typically this topic is a bit of a sticky wicket as there are a LOT of personal styles and processes that factor in to things like this.  =)

You can also check out things like Drone.IO to do the CI for you instead of a full-blown Jenkins install.  =)

Good luck!