function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
rachel watsonrachel watson 

trailhead- controlling access to the organization

I am trying to set the user as a system admin, but I cannot figure out how to change system admins.  Can someone provide the steps?  Is there any license permissions that are needed?  If so, how do you change license permissions? 
Best Answer chosen by rachel watson
Neetu_BansalNeetu_Bansal
Hi Rachel,

Salesforce provide various license to access the CRM like salesforce platform can access all the native features, objects, etc. There are default profiles provided by Salesforce. You can create your own profile, by cloning with the exsiting and assign to users.

You may have more than one type of user license in your organization. A user license entitles a user to different functionality within Salesforce and determines which profiles and permission sets are available to the user.

To view a list of the active user licenses in your company, from Setup, click Company Profile | Company Information. This page lists the following for each type of user license:
Status indicates the status of the license.
Total Licenses indicates the number of licenses for which your company is billed and that are available to you.
Used Licenses is the number of licenses that you have assigned to users.
Remaining Licenses is the number of unused licenses.PROFILE 

Represents a user profile. A profile defines a user's permission to perform different functions within Salesforce.
Every profile Must be associated with a License. This defines what the profile can do

you can retrieve and deploy access settings for the following managed components in profiles and permission sets:
Apex classes
Custom apps
Custom field permissions
Custom object permissions
Custom tab settings
External data sources
Record types
Visualforce pages

MORE ON PROFILES : http://goo.gl/DO7rGq

if my suggestion(s) worked,  let us know by marking the answer as "Best Answer" right under the comment.This will help the rest of the community should they have a similar issue in the future.

Thank you
Neetu

All Answers

Neetu_BansalNeetu_Bansal
Hi Rachel,

Are you going to update the profile of user as system Admin? If yes, there are limitations of System Administrator Users, you need to check if you are not exceeding that  limit.

You can check that at Setup -> Company Profile -> Company Information ( User Licenses section for Salesforce Platform).

Thanks,
Neetu
William TranWilliam Tran
Rachel,

Go to: Setup-> Manage Users-> users-> click edit by the name of the user you want to change to Admin

Look to the right, third down, there is a Profile: click the dropdown and change that to System Administrator

Then save

Thx
I have 3 licenses, but it will not let me change the profile. I only have standard platform user in the drop down under profiles. I have never change the system admin before.

I found a user that I could change to system admin successfully.  Most of my users did not have the more than one or two options in the profile dropdown.  What causes that?  Does the user's role have anything to do with the dropdown options in the profile area?  

I was able to successfully pass this challenge, but would like to know why the dropdown options are different for different users?  

Thank you William and Neetu for your help!  You both provided helpful information.  

Neetu_BansalNeetu_Bansal
Hi Rachel,

Salesforce provide various license to access the CRM like salesforce platform can access all the native features, objects, etc. There are default profiles provided by Salesforce. You can create your own profile, by cloning with the exsiting and assign to users.

You may have more than one type of user license in your organization. A user license entitles a user to different functionality within Salesforce and determines which profiles and permission sets are available to the user.

To view a list of the active user licenses in your company, from Setup, click Company Profile | Company Information. This page lists the following for each type of user license:
Status indicates the status of the license.
Total Licenses indicates the number of licenses for which your company is billed and that are available to you.
Used Licenses is the number of licenses that you have assigned to users.
Remaining Licenses is the number of unused licenses.PROFILE 

Represents a user profile. A profile defines a user's permission to perform different functions within Salesforce.
Every profile Must be associated with a License. This defines what the profile can do

you can retrieve and deploy access settings for the following managed components in profiles and permission sets:
Apex classes
Custom apps
Custom field permissions
Custom object permissions
Custom tab settings
External data sources
Record types
Visualforce pages

MORE ON PROFILES : http://goo.gl/DO7rGq

if my suggestion(s) worked,  let us know by marking the answer as "Best Answer" right under the comment.This will help the rest of the community should they have a similar issue in the future.

Thank you
Neetu

This was selected as the best answer
Thank you. This helps!!!
Neetu_BansalNeetu_Bansal
Hi Rachel,

If my post helps you, you can mark it as best answer so it will help others too.

Thanks,
Neetu