function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Joe KatzmanJoe Katzman 

Greyed-out field level in Permission set. (Adv Admin - Data Security - Controlling Access to Fields)

From this challenge: https://developer.salesforce.com/trailhead/data_security/data_security_fields
The Marketing Coordinator and Account Manager both require access to view and update Account Records, but only the Account Manager should be able to see and edit certain fields. Specifically, only the Account Manager should be able to see and edit the Rating field. The Marketing Coordinator should not be able to see or edit the Rating field. Create one profile and one permission set with the appropriate field-level security to solve for this use case.
The profile must be named 'Basic Account User' and result in an API name of 'Basic_Account_User'. It should use the 'Salesforce' user license type.
The permission set must be named ‘Account Rating’ and result in an API name of 'Account_Rating'.

Basic Account User profile went fine. The Account Rating permission set is the problem. I'm trying to edit field-level access within the Account object, but I get this screen that grey-outs any ability to set field permissions. I've looked around but can't find a fix. Can anyone here suggest how to break this logjam?

Account Rating Permission Set screenshot
Best Answer chosen by Joe Katzman
Joe KatzmanJoe Katzman
So, there is a solution. Apparently, it involves having Trailhead Managing Editor Chris Duarte on GoToMeeting, whereupon you can click on the greyed-out parts.

I'm only sort of joking about that. She also saw that this section was greyed out even after pressing "Edit" - BUT she could click on the checkboxes anyway and it would work. Apparently, it's a know UX issue that pops up irregularly. I couldn't make the clicks work myself, until I had her on GTM. Whereupon... TaDaa! The checkboxes check! Which meant immediate completion of the Challenge, as confirmed by Trailhead.

If anyone's really stuck with this one, the entire sequence is:
  1. Create a Basic Account User profile. Go to Profiles, click New, and create a copy of the Standard User profile. The need to have the Salesforce user license can be a bit confusing because your only option is to clone, it isn't a setting or anything. Just make sure you clone that one.
  2. Go to Accounts | Fields and click on Rating. Then click Set Field-Level Security. Check the box next to Read-Only for the Basic Account User profile you just created.
  3. Go to Permission Sets. Create an Account Rating permission set. Click Object Settings. Click Accounts. Click Edit. Check the boxes next to Read and Edit for Rating.

Thanks, Chris!

All Answers

Joe KatzmanJoe Katzman
Going to bump this in the feed, in hopes of finding an answer.
Joe KatzmanJoe Katzman
So, there is a solution. Apparently, it involves having Trailhead Managing Editor Chris Duarte on GoToMeeting, whereupon you can click on the greyed-out parts.

I'm only sort of joking about that. She also saw that this section was greyed out even after pressing "Edit" - BUT she could click on the checkboxes anyway and it would work. Apparently, it's a know UX issue that pops up irregularly. I couldn't make the clicks work myself, until I had her on GTM. Whereupon... TaDaa! The checkboxes check! Which meant immediate completion of the Challenge, as confirmed by Trailhead.

If anyone's really stuck with this one, the entire sequence is:
  1. Create a Basic Account User profile. Go to Profiles, click New, and create a copy of the Standard User profile. The need to have the Salesforce user license can be a bit confusing because your only option is to clone, it isn't a setting or anything. Just make sure you clone that one.
  2. Go to Accounts | Fields and click on Rating. Then click Set Field-Level Security. Check the box next to Read-Only for the Basic Account User profile you just created.
  3. Go to Permission Sets. Create an Account Rating permission set. Click Object Settings. Click Accounts. Click Edit. Check the boxes next to Read and Edit for Rating.

Thanks, Chris!
This was selected as the best answer