function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Haystack CertifiedHaystack Certified 

Have sidebar communicate with main console tab

I would like to know if this is possible with Service Cloud Console.  There would be a case page layout with a sidebar component.  I would like to use the standard page layout for the case detail, but the sidebar would be a VF page for gathering additional information.  The sidebar would be dynamically showing and hiding fields based on selections.  The idea is to isolate custom coding to the sidebar so that the standard page layout could still be used.

The issue I am trying to solve is the communcation between the sidebar and the detail section.  I know how to do this once the case detail record is saved since the record ID becomes available to use in the sidebar.  But, is there a way to use the sidebar on case creation when still in edit mode?

I think there would have to be some kind of direct communication between the components, such as notifying the sidebar of the record ID as the record is being saved.  Or, sending sidebar data back to the detail section so that it gets saved along with the rest of the record.  Or, maybe some other way I am not thinking of.

If this is possible, I would appreciate some pointers on how to get it started.  Thanks.