function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jason Kuzmak 3Jason Kuzmak 3 

Misleading failure status for Salesforce1 Mobile Basics: Customizing compact layouts

Hello everyone, I'm just reporting that I failed the challenge for the above mentioned section even though I set up the compact layout differently, though appropriately per the instructions. 

The compact layout is one of the things you can set up as you run through "Salesforce1 Setup" from the top of the navigation in the setup page. 
This automatically sets the API reference to 'PhoneandEmail' instead of 'Phone_and_Email', which will cause you to fail the challenge even if you meet the criteria.

The current instructions don't mention the API name, but it seems like that's what the system checks for. Just letting you know!

ShashankShashank (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Jason,

If you type in "Phone and Email" wwith the spaces as is for the label, the API name should populate correctly with the underscores. Spaces get converted to underscores for APPI names.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Shashank
Jason Kuzmak 3Jason Kuzmak 3
Thanks Shashank,

I guess I should have specified that I used the Salesforce1 setup "wizard" to create a compact layout. This will incorrectly remove spaces from your compact layout API name, rather than replacing them with underscores. See screenshots

Creating a layout within Salesforce1 Setup Wizard
Created layout name using the setup wizard

Incorrect API name from Wizard
API shows up with no underscores if created using this method. 

My point was only that you can't rely on the Wizard in order to complete the challenge correctly. The method provided from Trailhead must be used, unless you go and alter the API name to include underscores for spaces.