function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Kapil JaiswalKapil Jaiswal 

user edit his own record

I am new to force app development.  I have an custom object which any user can access. That means any user, who has access to my  app can create new records, view all records but edit or delete his own entries. 

Please suggest steps for acheiving this.
Best Answer chosen by Kapil Jaiswal
AnjithKumarAnjithKumar
Hello Kapil,

You have to do two steps.

1.Give the Public - Read only on Org wide permissions.

Setup->Security Controls-> Sharing Settings - > Edit -> give public read only to object.

2. Give edit, delete and create permissions on profile level.

Setup -> Manage Users ->Profiles ->select a profile - > edit- >go to object permissions then click on edit,create,delete check boxes of the object.

Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks,
Anjith kumar.

All Answers

AnjithKumarAnjithKumar
Hello Kapil,

You have to do two steps.

1.Give the Public - Read only on Org wide permissions.

Setup->Security Controls-> Sharing Settings - > Edit -> give public read only to object.

2. Give edit, delete and create permissions on profile level.

Setup -> Manage Users ->Profiles ->select a profile - > edit- >go to object permissions then click on edit,create,delete check boxes of the object.

Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks,
Anjith kumar.

This was selected as the best answer
Thanks Anjith :) that worked. I am really thankful to you. Can u also confirm that at profile level when we set Edit permission, does that mean it is for ones own record (owner) or is it for all records?

Hi Anjith another issue. I did as you suggested. I created a user. Assigned profile and did security control setting as you suggested. Assigned that profile to that user. I logged in with that user. The solution worked. User coudl edit his own record not the one which i created.

Then i logged in with my account. i even coudl not see his record. Can u tell me what shoudl i do . I want to be the owner of application who edit / delete any record

Please help/guide
plz ignore the last query. i notice only 'Recently viewed' andhence was the problem . When i did View all, i coudl see and edit all.

Thanks