function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Adam Steele 9Adam Steele 9 

Customer wants our app as a tab on their salesforce dashboard. 1) I'm assuming we need to build an app in appexchange for that, correct? 2) Can we potentially just use salesforce API integration for that or do we need to dive into Apex?

Short story is one of our customers wants our app as a tab on their salesforce dashboard.
1) I'm assuming we need to build an app in appexchange for that, correct?
2) Can we potentially just use salesforce API integration for that or do we need to dive into Apex?   

I know it's not much detail and I'm sure it depends on many things, but I'm just looking for a rough/general answer at this point. Thanks so much.
Best Answer chosen by Adam Steele 9
Beau Gordon 6Beau Gordon 6
I think you just need to make a custom web tab.  The way you have described it, your app doesn't need access to any Salesforce data.  In that case there wouldn't be a reason to use the API or Apex.

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=creating_web_tabs.htm&language=en

All Answers

You are right, it depends :)

How will they access your app?  Through a browser?  If so you can set up a custom tab which simply displays your web app and leave it at that.

It is more involved if you want SSO between Salesforce and your app, and if your app needs access to data within Salesforce.

A few more details could probably get you a better answer.

They want to view certain things from our app as a section within their salesforce dashboard, which I assume is usually accessed via a browser. So my question is, do we likely need to build something in Apex to make this happen, or can we just use the salesforce API or build some kind of custom view or something that we can have show up in a section on their saleforce dashboard. 

The reason I ask is that building something in Apex is much more involved than using the salesforce API.
I think you just need to make a custom web tab.  The way you have described it, your app doesn't need access to any Salesforce data.  In that case there wouldn't be a reason to use the API or Apex.

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=creating_web_tabs.htm&language=en

This was selected as the best answer
I didn't know that existed...did the trick nicely though. Thanks!
...obviously I'm a salesforce noob :)