function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tao Z JsTao Z Js 

why let administrator modify the page layout to enable new field or button?

Hi,

I simply look at the release notes. But the release notes has 300+ pages, so complex!
Every version provides some new features or modifies some features, for example add a new field for account object.
My questions are:
1. why let administrator modify the page layout to enable a new field or button, why not been enabled by default?
2. what changes are enabled by default, what changes depend the administrator's configuration?
thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Tao Z Js
Sumeet_ForceSumeet_Force
Hi Tao,
1. Directly exposing changes can cause a lot of confusion as all new fields /buttons may not be required by all. Just like advanced settings are for admins to configure, these new fields/button would first need to be evaluated by diff. orgs and only exposed based on requirements.
2. The release notes and reference docs on the SF portals provide a section with all new features and two columns beside it mentioning if the changes are to be done by admin or are auto enabled.

Hope this helps !

All Answers

Sumeet_ForceSumeet_Force
Hi Tao,
1. Directly exposing changes can cause a lot of confusion as all new fields /buttons may not be required by all. Just like advanced settings are for admins to configure, these new fields/button would first need to be evaluated by diff. orgs and only exposed based on requirements.
2. The release notes and reference docs on the SF portals provide a section with all new features and two columns beside it mentioning if the changes are to be done by admin or are auto enabled.

Hope this helps !
This was selected as the best answer
Tao Z JsTao Z Js
Hi Sumeet,

Thank for your reply.
I have a doubt.I create the Org in 2015, why the account source field is not displayed in the account layout. I find the release notes, this field is added in Spring 12' release notes.
I know the account's page layout declare the contents in the account page. whether it will not be modified after the default page layout is released? I think it is better the new field can been used for new Org by default.
Sumeet_ForceSumeet_Force
Exposing of fields for custom page layouts depends on settings when creating it. It can be newly created or cloned from default. When a field is added by Salesforce, they leave it to the orgs to expose it or not. This is correct because not all orgs may want it.
After releases, SF doesnt modify the page layouts thereby giving SF admins a smooth way to work on only those areas as required.